1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Touching high school football story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Oct 6, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Wow. That's like it's ripped out of a Hollywood script.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Did they cancel the dinner or have it in his memory?

3. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Sidebar was a nice way to deal with it. lacking that, I think I'd have found a way to work it into the gamer. Probably no impact on the outcome, but it is part of the atmosphere of the game, and more notworthy than your average crowning. it's at least as importrant to mention it as fights in the stands would be.

4. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

The dinner is going on as a memorial. Actually, I didn't write the sidebar. I phoned in the details I could gather, a news side guy wrote it and put my byline on it. (I did rewrite the lead.) I had arranged for the kid's mom to call the news side guy through a family friend but she never did. What's funny is the news side was trying to get in touch with the family today when I called to tell them he died.

5. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

A touching story with a tragic ending. Life does suck at times. At least those high school kids will know they did something good for another human being.

6. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Exactly, there's a lot of coverage on a lot of terrible shit that minors due these days. Even though it's a silly thing like homecoming, it's nice to read about kids doing some good, thoughtful things.

7. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Link:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/highschool/news/story?id=3063610

Draft saved Draft deleted