1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Touching high school football story

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TwoGloves, Oct 6, 2007.

1. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

I don't do many high school games anymore, but I had one last night. Was homecoming. Usually I hate homecoming. But not this time. When they introduce the kids at halftime, the sophomore court includes a kid who has been battling leukemia for three years. They wheel him out onto the field and when his name is announced, hed gets out of his chair and walks to down the 50-yard line to the sideline with his mom. Then, he goes down the sideline and sits back in his chair.

They introduce the junior and senior class followed by the homecoming queen. When it comes time to announce the homecoming king, four the kids were in the locker room because they're players and the fifth is a golfer. The announcer said that the five king candidates got together and decided there could only be one king. Yup, the kid with leukemia.

The place went crazy. The kid got a standing ovation from what had to be 2,000 people. They crowned him, gave him his sash and then he posed for pictures with the queen and virtually everyone else down on the field. You could see some of the kids near him wiping their eyes. No wonder. It was hard to avoid tears in the press box.
  2. Chef

Chef Active Member

Very cool.
  3. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Man, that's a nice story. Thanks for sharing it.
  4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

That's a great story...

Who won the game?
  5. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

Actually, the school the kid attends was unbeaten and ranked in the top 10 in the state. Got their asses handed to them after giving up 22 fourth-quarter points.
  6. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

I assume you couldn't mention the homecoming story in your gamer, but any plans to write about it down the line? maybe something for Monday?
  7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

It's a good story, do it.
  8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Clearly, it's the kid's fault for making his team lose focus. ;)
  9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

thanks for sharing the story. we read a lotta not so cool stuff quite often.
  10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

you are the devil. :D
  11. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Active Member

I actually was able to put together a sidebar about the kid that we ran on the front of our high school football wrap. Wasn't able to get any quotes from anybody but we had the details. Today, they had a benefit dinner for the kid. But when everybody showed up, they found out the kid died at 3 p.m. today. Apparently, ESPN.com had something on it.
  12. Dan Rydell

Dan Rydell Guest

Well, nothing you can do about that.

But I'm sure your sidebar brought plenty of smiles and good feelings along the way.

Sad to hear about his death.
Draft saved Draft deleted