1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Totally tubular!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Batman, Nov 9, 2011.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Couldn't think of a Point Break reference that would fit nicely in a headline, so I'll just say that big wave riding is for mach assholes with a death wish.
    Or this guy. Fellow named Garrett McNamara rode a 90-foot wave off the coast of Portugal. This is just insane. I think if you look close you can see the capsized hulk of the SS Poseidon in there.

http://www.grindtv.com/surf/blog/30981/is+this+the+largest+wave+ever+ridden/

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Riding big waves makes you an #sshole?

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Bitchen. I'm stoked.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This. How is it different than skydiving or mountain climbing or motocross jumping? It's an adrenaline rush. It's not for me, but it doesn't make them assholes.

5. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Utah, make it two!

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's a line from "Point Break," dude. Just riffing.

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Missed that. Seen that movie many, many times, and now that you mention it ... sounds like something Johnny Utah would says.

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

It's actually Tyler's line. It's when they're at Bodie's party, right before they head out for the night surf. Kind of a throwaway line, but it stuck in my head for some reason.
    Judging by the reaction so far, either I needed to use the blue font or surfers are not as mellow as they appear.

9. holy bull

holy bull Active Member

I've never seen the movie, and figured it was from the movie.

Draft saved Draft deleted