1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Total recall - The Cheesehead Edition

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Aug 9, 2011.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

How come the elections for Dems facing recall weren't also held today?

How many are there? Two?

Any chance either of those flip?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Yes two. One is a huge district in the far north, the other is the SE corner on the Illinois line.

3. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I watched this develop all night on Twitter like it was a college game.

4. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

Darling claimed victory near midnight, as unofficial results showed her surging ahead. Pasch conceded early Wednesday in a phone call to Darling.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/127437583.html

5. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

What makes you think he'd switch parties? Recent history has shown that switching parties is an easy way to ensure that you WON'T win your next election. You make enemies out of your former allies, and your new "allies" have a hard time trusting you because you used to be the enemy.

Much more likely is that this fellow (Schultz, I believe) becomes the Joe Lieberman of the Wisconsin State Senate's GOP caucus - the occasional pain in the ass, but still voting with the GOP most of the time.

6. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

That was very weird to me. They've already held one and the other two are later. You would think that would be standardized.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I read that the unions spent tens of millions on these recall elections and have almost nothing to show for it.

That's a shame. :D

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So flipping two seats = nothing. Nice math.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say nothing to show for it -- 17-16 is razor-thin particularly in Wisconsin, where not every Republican wants to be labeled a Tea Party zealot. But they should stop all the talk about recalling Walker. Even if people can make the logical case that Walker the governor was not what was expected of Walker the candidate, after yesterday the public has had a chance to weigh in and this is clearly the direction they want the state to go.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on when the petitions are filed.

But I didn't know it was just the Republicans last night until I was watching the coverage.

11. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

It's a draw. Game not over.
    The Dems didn't accomplish their mission. The GOP lost seats.
    Basically, Walker has lost his margin for error. If just one of his flock feels hesitant that his constituents won't buy the Walker agenda, we got trouble. Compromise may be in order.

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What kind of circular logic is this?

The Democrats didn't get everything they wanted, but two GOP'ers were recalled.

Perpsective is needed here on both sides, because its fucking rare as hell to get ANYONE recalled. For Democrats to hang their heads is silly, to get anyone recalled is a victory in itself.

For Republicans to claim "victory" when two of their reps were recalled is silly to borderline idiotic. To claim this confirms a nonexistent GOP mandate in Wisconsin is spin that goes to Defcon-1 level of self-delusion.

Clearly the direction they want the state to go? Two GOP'ers were recalled and one more avoided it by the slimmest of margins. I'd say there's plenty of fuel for a Walker recall effort.

The difference is the time factor. Will passions be as high next year when Walker can be recalled? Time will tell. My gut tells me no, but stranger things have happened.

Draft saved Draft deleted