1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Total lunacy: Wife induces labor so husband doesn't miss attending Bears game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Didn't she star in a movie by the same name?

2. hoopswriter

hoopswriter Member

Lakers fan here. When my wife was giving birth to our second child during the 2002 NBA Finals, I had no notion to turn on Game 2 during labor. She even suggested it after we had the baby, but I figured it might be a little better for me in the long run if I didn't take her up on the offer.

That year, I thought my wife was going to go into labor trying to watch Lakers-Kings Game 7 in the Western finals.

Of course, if it was a team like the Bears that hasn't been to the Super Bowl in 21 years, there may be more of a thought that "I'd better watch because who knows when I'll get another chance."

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Re: Total lunacy: Wife induces labor so husband doesn't miss attending Bears gam

Just think of her best song "Magic."

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

It's a great song, and easily the best song from that movie, but it's no higher than No. 4 for her career -- "If You Love Me (Let Me Know)," "Hopelessly Devoted To You" and "Please Mister, Please" outrank it.

I got married on the night of the deciding game of the inaugural World Cup of Hockey in 1996. For some reason I was not allowed to leave the reception to watch the game, nor was a TV provided for guests and wedding party members. I remain convinced to this day that, had I been allowed to watch that game, Canada would not have lost to the U.S.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Reminds me of a buddy of mine's wedding reception. He asks me to come with him to the kitchen, where he and some employees of the place are watching a hockey game on TV.

Of course, the new bride found us and just as she starts to give him an earful, he tells her he wanted to hang out with his buddy (me) and this is where I was.

Now for a number of reasons, she and I didn't know each other very well. But she knew I was a sportswriter, thus she assumes that I am unable to resist the siren song of any sporting event. Once I am done having her glare a hole through my head, I go out to find my wife, who is every bit as annoyed with me as the new bride.

Obviously, that is the end of any chance of me getting along with my buddy's wife. Then again, my wife can't stand him, so I guess that's fair.

And honestly, I couldn't have cared less if I had missed that entire game.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

This Chicago story is the Sports Illustrated "sign of the apocalypse" this week.

Draft saved Draft deleted