1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Total lunacy: Wife induces labor so husband doesn't miss attending Bears game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I may be wrong, but those two things don't have much to do with each other. The baby's collarbone probably would have been broken even if he was born a week earlier, or a week later. That tells me it was all about the position/size of the baby and/or birth cannal and not about the day the baby was delivered. Although, if the doctor knows there will be bone breaking happening, a c-section is usually the delivery method of choice.

2. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I gotta find me a doc like that.

3. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My nephew weighed like 11 pounds. They told my sis they were inducing her early this time so the baby'd be smaller and they didn't have to break anything.

4. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

We were going to have an induced labor -- not because I would be able to see the US Soccer qualifier against T&T the night of the inducement -- but because the missus had gestational diabetes and they were worried that my daughter was going to be too big. Turns out that my daughter was 2 1/2 weeks early and weighed a heck of a lot less than they thought.

And I don't care if the Cornell was in the Final Four, the Knicks were playing game 7 of the NBA Championship and the US was playing in the final game of the World Cup on the same night, I'm not even asking Mrs. W about inducing to watch a sporting event.

5. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Re: Total lunacy: Wife induces labor so husband doesn't miss attending Bears gam

I once did a story about a soccer coach who scheduled a C-section so she could have her baby before practice started. Having labor induced would seem a little less loony, though I'd say the margin is small.

6. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Your poor sister

7. OneMoreRead

OneMoreRead Member

Didn't Tennessee coach Pat Summitt go into labor while flying over Kentucky and ordered the pilot to not land the plane until they got into Tennessee?

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Agreed. That's a matter best discussed between the mom, the doc and their schedules. Not my TV schedule.

Although, I've heard of several cases where a labor was induced a few weeks early because the military dad was being deployed just before the actual due date. Cases such as those, IMO, are about the only time when daddy's schedule should be taken into consideration and given priority.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I can. Usually, they wear Crimson and White.

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

11. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'm with Ace and Ides - something tells me this is not such a 'big' story, and these fine folks are milking it.

Millions of women induce now - and many people I know are given their choice of days (within a 3-4 day timeframe).

ondeadline - Hats off to your wife - that's fantastic. But the "drug" they use to induce (Pitocin?) is simply a hormone that makes the uterus contract - the "real" drugs-- the ones you're thinking of... the ones some women forego over concerns for the fetus-- are those given in an epidural -- for pain. Big difference between narcotics and Pitocin.

sportschick has a point: Labor induction in the U.S. is at an all-time high... And infant motality and maternal mortality are at an all-time low.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If men had babies, every birth would be scheduled and induced.

Draft saved Draft deleted