1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Total lunacy: Wife induces labor so husband doesn't miss attending Bears game

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 22, 2007.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

That's putting your priorities in order. ???

2. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I can't believe men like that exist. I also can't believe women like that exist.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. I think this is only partial lunacy.

4. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

In the Super Bowl media kit, it had an interesting factoid.
    Super Bowl weekend has the fewest number of weddings. So inducing labor doesn't seem like that much of a stretch.

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

I'm with Ace. Having been a third (or is it fourth?)-party observer on induced labor countless times, I can tell you this is pretty minor compared to some of the requests. And, I'm guessing, the women come up with the most ridiculous reasons to be induced early.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's pretty standard for some doctors to offer to induce before Jan. 1 so you get your little tax break in time -- assuming your are nine months along and all.

7. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Agreed. I mean, at least they planned it out well in advance.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

True. and since this is only a couple of days early from the actual due date, this is fairly minor. Many women, especially those having their first child, want to schedule labor a month or more early to avoid getting too big or being too uncomfortable. That stuff, compared to the NFC title game baby, is out of whack.

Heck, my last two were induced labors because my second child was a precipitous labor that lasted all of 45 minutes. We lived three blocks from the hospital and nearly had the baby at home because we almost didn't go to the hospital in time. Our doctor, who lived just two more blocks away, missed the childbirth because the call to him didn't get there in time.

My wife's office at the time was 45 minutes from the nearest L&D room and that was too risky. So, for No. 3 and No. 4, we scheduled the labor about a week before the due date.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Here's why I hated to see this story: We have two kids and my wife delivered both naturally without any drugs. It was something she believed in because it's better for the baby and, if she was willing to do that, I was all for it.

If there are complications, I can understand using drugs. But to do it in order to make sure you don't miss a stupid game? Incredible.

I believe Ann Myers (wife of the late Don Drysdale) once induced labor so that she would be able to provide color for games in the NCAA tournament.

10. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

That's cool, ondeadline.

But I heard from a trained medical professional that epidurals are wonderful and totally healthy for mom and the baby.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Better to be induced a bit early, then have to have the doctor break the baby's collarbone to get him out, which is what happened to my sister with her second baby.

Oh, and give me all the drugs you can. I'm not one of them thar Earth mothers. Dope me up!

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I think it's nice they worked it out so the baby could watch the game. Got to get 'em started early. My dad still occasionally reminds me he had to miss both a Kansas football game and Octoberfest because of my birth. My Doctor didn't miss Octoberfest. I was delivered by a substitute.

Draft saved Draft deleted