1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

TOTAL DEBACLE!!!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mustangj17, May 19, 2009.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

McMahon said he took it up with the NBA, which told him to talk to the Nuggets. In other words, it sounds like the NBA simply went with what the Nuggets told them, meaning the Nuggets wrong here.

Also, I loved how ESPN News had Jonathan "Coach" Coachman do the interview with Vince.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

WWE is a joke. It appeals to the lowest common denominator of our society -- sorry folks, some of you fall into that category simply by watching this shit.

McMahon has become a millionaire by subscribing to the H.L. Mencken theory: "No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

The battle for the holder of the title of worst low-brow entertainment is fierce.

And there is no shortage of competitors.

4. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

It also empties the Wal-Marts when it's in town.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"The arenas," in this case, are mostly run by the NBA franchises, so what the NBA franchises want, they get.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I stopped watching WWE when I found out it was fake.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I stopped watching the NBA when I found out it was rigged.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

I feel the same way about the NFL.

9. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

The main event of a joint production of the NBA and the WWE has to be Mark Cuban versus Kenyon Martin - - with Kenyon Martin's Mom in his corner as his "manager". By the way, there is precedent for this. Back in the late 70s/early 80s, the Washington Bullets - before they were the Wizards - played an NBA game in the old Capitol Center and the promotion for the night was that after the game they would bring out a werstling ring and have some WWE matches. No, I wasn't there, but I remember it happening because it was such a bizarre promotion.

I stopped watching pro wrestling sometime between the Bruno Sammartino Era and the Hulk Hogan Era. All I know about pro wrestling is that some its biggest stars have taken on lives and status outside that "sport". But I don't want to denigrate folks who continue to derive entertainment from pro wrestling. If given the choice of watching three hours of pro wrestling or three hours of a concert by KISS, I'd take the wrestling 101 times out of 100 choices.

In this case, I suspect that Vince McMahon has a couple of trump cards in that he has probably paid some kind of downpayment for the arena on the date he scheduled his extravaganza. And if the arena folks cashed his check, they probably need to find a way to "settle this one" rather than take the chance going before a judge.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I just hope we don't get a replay of THIS debacle:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Touché.

I think that one drew blood.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It doesn't matter what the event is --- WWE, a concert, a Billy Graham crusade, whatever --- when you book an arena for a given date and sell tickets, you expect the contract to be honored,period.

I know the NBA and ESPN contract call for a Saturday-Monday scheduling deal in the WCF this year. Well, you either move the game, change the start time or flip the scheduling to play Game 4 in LA, instead. The Pepsi Center screwed this up and -- as much as I detest WWE --- it isn't right for them to throw WWE out the door without a HUGE financial settlement.

Draft saved Draft deleted