1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Total Chaos On NBC's Today Show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 21, 2012.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I think a lot of this is pretty unfair.

I'm not a Lauer fan, but I think he does a pretty good job, and it's a really hard thing to do well.

He didn't throw a tantrum; his contract was up, and he wasn't going to re-sign until they upped the offer. I don't know how much was negotiating bullshit and how much was a legit desire to walk away, but he had a perfect right either way. And given how much money that show makes, I don't have a problem with Lauer getting that much money. NBC is still doing just fine. Overpaid is relative.

And for the most part, he's not reading lines someone else has written for him. Hosting involves a hell of a lot more than that, and most of it is not off the PrompTer.

The Today show's problem right now isn't a staff mutiny, or Lauer, or the absence of Viera/Curry/whoever. The problem is, GMA is producing a better show right now. For work reasons I'm seeing the morning news shows a hell of a lot more these days, and GMA is the best of the bunch. The talent and the segments are better than Today, and a hell of a lot better than the latest version of the CBS Morning Disaster. Anytime you have anchor turmoil there will be a lot of viewers who check out the competition. Right now, that works very much in GMA's favor.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Where would Lauer go to get 17 million a year? Would CBS it to give him? Maybe? GMA? doubtful.

CNN no way and no Fox. What were his options? The Lakers or Yankees?
    He's not walking away. He's not doing a syndicated talk show.

I don't see his leverage.

3. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

His leverage is simple: if he's gone the ratings go down, and it costs the network a hell of a lot more than the $8 million raise he got. (And the ratings would absolutely go down, at least in the short term.)

He doesn't need to make more money elsewhere to justify the move. He's already ridiculously wealthy, and it may well be worth it to work better hours for a less stressful job at $7 million instead of hosting Today at $17 million.

4. sportbook

sportbook Member

I have clients that make appearances on GMA and Today. I much prefer to go to GMA. The producers are nicer, the talent is kinder, and the overall atmosphere is much more pleasant. The arrogance of many associated with the Today Show is overwhelming.

5. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Simple solution, bring back Viera and all is good again. What does she have to do other than host daytime gamshows?

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Uh huh. And if "Today" calls, you're not going to say no.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I don't watch morning shows but if her performance during the Opening Ceremonies is indicative of her schtick I don't see how anyone can stand to watch her.

8. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

She's very popular...

9. sportbook

sportbook Member

You're exactly right. I never suggested otherwise.

Draft saved Draft deleted