1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Total Chaos On NBC's Today Show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

"Ann isn't going to quit, it's not in her nature, but her friends just wish that NBC would step up, do the right thing, and let her out of the contract. Ann has been with NBC for over 15 years, and she doesn't want to leave, but, she also doesn't want this pattern of being frozen out to continue. Something has got to change," the insider added.

As we previously reported, Matt Lauer is "hated" by several long-time producers of TODAY and the crew is in turmoil, all as a result of the morning show host having pushed NBC executives to dump Curry as his co-anchor.

"There are several producers that have been with the TODAY show for a very long time, over ten years, and Matt Lauer is now hated by them because they feel that he is responsible for Ann Curry's being fired. Ann was tremendously popular with the producers, cameramen, and other staffers of the show because she truly is a team player. Ann was all about breaking stories, just a true pro," a source close to the situation previously told us.

Despite huge efforts by TODAY producers, the staffers of the embattled morning show are grumbling that they feel it was a mistake to replace Curry with Savannah Guthrie.

"The crew is taking bets about what the cast will look like in one year, and the money is on Savannah Guthrie not sticking around if the ratings continue to plummet. The crew and producers don't have an issue with Savannah, in fact, they really like her, but they are just getting to know her. Ann was with TODAY for over 15 years," the insider said.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusives/2012/08/ann-curry-today-nbc-news-contract-release

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Given that it's NBC, I assume this happened in 1977 and is just now being revealed.

3. Deeper_Background

Deeper_Background Active Member

Al Roker calls out Matt Lauer on National TV

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Never watched it except when Bruce Springsteen played live; shut the teevee off 10 seconds afterward.

You could fire 'em all and I wouldn't care.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Fire 'em all, save the money, sell infomercials.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Guthrie's awful.

The whole show is smug as hell.

I'll tell you: If you want to see decent celebrity interviews, go to CBS. Charlie Rose has buttered up every movie star worth knowing for the last ten years, so when they roll over to the CBS show, they're in a great mood. Even Ed Norton.

7. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Is there a more overpaid person in all of "journalism" than Matt Lauer? (I'm using journalism in the loosest sense here.) He threw a little tantrum last year because $17 million per wasn't enough, so NBC is now paying him somewhere between $25 million and $30 million a year. To read lines -- poorly and smugly, I might add -- from a screen that someone else writes.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm guessing Lauer was tolerable with a pro like Couric or Viera nearby to bust his chops. Now I figure the co-hosts have to defer to him.
    The show is in trouble. GMA won the week right after the Olympics. And I don't think Lauer is going anywhere.
    Though I could see NBC buying him off in a year or two with promises of prime-time specials, documentaries, perhaps even a re-tooling of the Tonight Show.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

The crew loved Ann. So she was popular with everyone except the viewers.

The crew hates Lauer.

Who gives a rat's ass what the crew thinks? It's like saying a baseball manager is successful, but the clubhouse guys and trainers hate him.

10. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

I watched "Today" quite a bit during the Olympics and caught Curry the morning she appeared. She literally looked sad. It really caught my attention at the time.

I'm typically a CBS viewer, largely due to being a huge Rose fan from his program on PBS. But he sure has been off a lot lately.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

You all need to switch over to Fox and Friends... everybody seems to get along over there... :D

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

"No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public."

Draft saved Draft deleted