1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tossed from Kinkos for copying clips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Miles O'Toole, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Copyright

If you are a stringer, you may own the copyright depending on the paper. I know some agreeements I have signed give the paper a 24-hour exclusive window after publishing and then the writer is free to resell their work.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

you went to school at office max? ;)

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I had one problem with this at a Kinko's about 10 years ago. I had a huge, unwieldy jump on one clip that I needed their help on sizing. They told me "Sir, we can't copy these. It's copyrighted."

I calmly said "I'm the author of this article and I give you permission to copy it."

At this unexpected twist, I could see the synapses shorting out in her head. She said "Oh, OK," and promptly made my 30 copies.

Never had a problem after that, probably because I stopped going to Kinko's and went to a local mom-and-pop shop owned by this couple I knew through one of my beats at that time.

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

The photo kiosks at places like supermarkets don't seem to be a problem. It's the audio/video specialty shops that are a pain in the ass, because sales reps are all over the customers trying to upsell them into buying picture frames and assorted other crap.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I once got a frantic call from some parents.
    Their girls had went to Kinko's to blow up some pictures in the paper. They were doing some sort of giant collage, poster thing for the basketball team that had won a state championship.
    Apparently Kinko's had told them no and when they protested Kinko's said they would call the cops.
    So the girls called their parents, who then called me and asked if I could help. As I recall, one of the girls lied and said they were doing it for the paper. I called and covered the lie. Kinko's said that for it to happen, they would need a permission faxed to them on letterhead and signed by me.
    So that's what I did. It was a dick move by Kinko's because it was obvious the girls weren't doing it to make a profit.

6. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

I haven't made copies of clips in three years or so, but I never had any trouble with Office Max...they even did the copies for me. Kinko's, on the other hand....

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It felt amazing, especially when the offer came.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

That guilt left me when I got a ham as a Christmas bonus, while I was working two full-time jobs to make ends meet. I felt I earned some ink and paper.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Which is precisely why I go to the supermarket ones.

10. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Thank you, Mike.

That's what I was going to say.

And folks, can we not use the word Nazis unless we are talking about World War II Germany?

We're supposed to be wordsmiths here.

11. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Same here. I actually printed out a handful of section fronts and jump pages one day and was having problems with the color printer. At least five Kinkos employees came over at some point (they can fix a copier but not a printer...I ended up fixing it) and not one of them mentioned it.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I'm sure the policy has changed, but I went into Kinko's about three years ago to copy some design clips. I used one of their cards, and said I'd probably have some copies I couldn't use because I wasn't sure what sizes I needed, etc. It took some wrangling with resizing, etc., and I did end up with a bunch of stuff I couldn't use. Took the card back up to have the adjustments made and was told, "We can't adjust because that stuff's copyrighted." Annoying as hell, but I still had my copies.

Suggestions to use the office copier are valid, but for those of us who for various reasons don't work at a newspaper at the time and are frantically looking for employment, that won't work. ;D

Draft saved Draft deleted