1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tossed from Kinkos for copying clips

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Miles O'Toole, Jun 26, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I had this happen when I first got out of school at OfficeMax. I wanted a full-sized replica of a page I had designed in editing and design class, because I had no design clips at the time. Dude behind the counter told me no, and this is even though there's no way this could have been a real newspaper. (My design wasn't that good.)

I also have e-mailed single copies of pages I wanted framed for a relative -- my cousin was on the front, and I yanked the PDF from the archives -- to the Kinko's customer service folk, and I had no problem.

They are on my crap list, though, for screwing up my recent newsletter order, mainly because they were efftards and couldn't process the idea of boosting the print-scale ratio. (I'd messed up while turning the document into a PDF.)

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

It feels better when you actually stuff your own paper into the machine and run it off. Hey, maybe I have too much of a soul.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

You can always upper deck Kinkos.

4. pressmurphy

pressmurphy Member

There are similar issues with making prints at photo kiosks, which gets a bit trickier.
    I often lug my digital camera along when I go to a ballgame or meet at one of the area schools, and every once in awhile this blind squirrel comes up with a nut wotrh turning into an 8x10 to decorate the den.
    I've been stopped three times in the last five years or so and been warned about copyright issues. One clerk tossed me (and ate the cost of two prints of a B&W I'd scanned from my film negatives) that I'd already made) but the other two let me proceed.
    There were, of course no indications on the photo files that they might be copyrighted material -- the "Sports Illustrated" flag threaded across the top of the image, etc. -- but I was told that the clerks are trained to be suspicious of any print that looks too good to have been done by an amateur. That usually rules out pictures from the family picnic, but not necessarily highly artistic still-lifes or above-average sports photography. And, because only newspapers and professional photogs ever shoot B&W film these days, don't even try to make a non-color print in a store.

5. Does your office not have a photocopier? I work at a pretty rinky-dink weekly in the sticks and even we have a photocopier. If you're copying clips because you're looking for a new job and don't want them to know, just come in when no one else is there. If that doesn't work just do what some on here have suggested and go on the offensive. If you act like you know what you're talking about, the retards at Kinkos will probably cave to your demands.

6. jambalaya

jambalaya Member

Great timing on this thread. I went into Wal-Mart on Sunday to use the Kodak machine and make copies of some old AP photos to hang in my apartment.

After I get done scanning about $40 worth of black and white pics, the high school kid behind the counter stared me down like I'd committed a crime.

Did you take these? he asks.

"Yeah, this shot of Muhammad Ali training in the Bahamas? Yep, I was there. And this one of Kent Hrbek when he smacked a grand slam in the 1987 World Series? That was my work too!"

I was dismayed over my lack of skill to get outta there with the pics. This kid was brutally stubborn. So I just said F-it, and went somewhere else to get it done. But it felt good when I demanded they shred the pics while I was present.

Needless to say, Wal-Mart is history for me.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The proper responses to such a situation:

1) "Fuck you, call the cops."

2) Finish making your copies.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

If I ever get my hands on the bomb, Kinko's HQ is the target.

I used to have to go there to print stuff off a Mac when my Mac printer was down. Sheer fucking hell. They'd have one Mac workstation and it would never ever work.

I fucking hate Kinkos.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

10. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

1 -- I've never had anyone at Kinko's even look at what I was doing.
    2 -- I've never had anyone at a photo kiosk even look at what i was doing. I always thought that was the point, you print them so the photo place can not pay someone to print them for you.

11. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

12. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

I was at Staples the other day when the woman in front of me got all pissed because they wouldn't let her copy an obit from my paper. The woman started bitching about my paper, how it was all our fault, how everyone in town hates us and this is another example why, etc. I was just standing there smiling when the clerk looks at me, realizes who I am, then kindly explains to the woman the real reasons why she couldn't make copies. Then she says, "If you have any other complaints about the paper, you can ask him," pointing to me. The woman turns, glares at me for a second, then walks out.

Draft saved Draft deleted