1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torture: McCain vs. Mukasey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, May 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, while I think it would have been worth it to capture and interrogate bin laden (and think the current administrations fears of how to deal with him is why they preferred him dead vs. alive), I have no proble with the operation or how the credit has been spread.

But, when I see Ed Schultz launch into a fill throated defense of the Navy SEALs -- Cheney's assassination squad -- and praise a unilateral military operation in a sovereign nation, I wonder where all this support was in previous years.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What we are seeing is a complete about face in what was once a basic tenet of liberal principles.

In effect ( is this correct usage Luggy?) the Obama administration has adopted The Bush Cheney principles of fighting global terror. Thankfully I might add.

3. YankeeFan

Democrats are always going to have a better opportunity to wage war.

Drone attacks are way up under Obama.

And, incredibly, civilians stopped getting killed by them in January 2009.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't matter what the world thinks of Israel. You have stated several times that 1) the Dubai assassination was a successful operation, and 2) You have tried to equate an assassination of a guy you had never even hear of before the fiasco with the assassination of the world's most notorious man, who killed thousands of people, including more than 3,000 on 9/11.

Here is something about that successful Dubai operation of yours I just found via Google:

http://www.gq.com/news-politics/big-issues/201101/the-dubai-job-mossad-assassination-hamas?printable=true

You will never see things like that written about our operation to take out Bin Laden. The ONLY critical article I could foresee might be "Why did it take 10 years?"

5. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I prefaced this by saying the Bush administration and the professional right. While I'm sure you're motivated by nothing more than a concern that liberals are failing in their lofty and laudable standards, the Bushies and the Fox News' of the world are doing everything they can to credit their guy, and discredit Obama as much as possible, about bin Laden. Because you know that if bin Laden had been killed under Bush, we would have gotten this:

[​IMG]

And not without good reason.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Bob Cook is all over this one. The only places this "debate" exists is where people are so obviously loath to give Obama credit for anything, and they see the 80+ pct thumbs-up from the American public and they get desperate.

7. YankeeFan

You're right. This guy isn't comparable to bin Laden in any way.

If only he had a better PR guy, maybe then you would approve of his killing.

This is the guy that you don't think deserved to be killed:

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Bob - again - no.

For me it's all about intellectual honesty.

Pretty lengthy article but worth the time if you want to learn more about the inconsistencies in how the liberals viewed Bush approach, to now how they justify Obama approach.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/glenn_greenwald/2011/05/10/democrats/index.html

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FYI: Removed my last post. Thread was locked while I was gone, and I am not sure why, so I'll leave it without my post hanging.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.