1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torre turns down the Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Oct 18, 2007.

1. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

No, N_W. I was saying in New York there is more scrutiny compared to Atlanta. I was playing off what Mike said about Bobby Cox.

2. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Exactly, but then come out and say that instead of treating one of the most respected men in the history of one of the world's most historically respected sports organizations like a journeyman pitcher.

The person who gets hurt here the most is Cashman. Everybody knows Steinbrenner is nucking futs and now Cashman looks like The Boss' waterboy as opposed to a guy who actually has any clout. If I'm him, I leave with Torre to save my own reputation. Who's team do you want to be on in this battle?

3. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I think Cashman used a lot of his bullets in trying to bring back Torre after last season. He probably felt this time 'round that he had to go along with whatever the decision was.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Of course there is, but what I wrote still stands. Just because you're under more scrutiny doesn't make it OK to crap on your employees and make a bs move like this.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Has the exalted leader of men, Derek Jeter, weighed in yet? Has he defended Torre?

Or has he been the chickenshit, say-nothing that he's always been?

That's what I thought.

6. Lester Bangs

No doubt and now the next person to leave should be him. I think this offer is going to taint anyone near it.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Next up, Cito Gaston.

8. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No way any other team offers him the annual salary+bonus on an annual basis that the Yankees allegedly did and the he allegdly turned down. Another team may guarentee him 3 or 4 years, but at millions less per year.

This wasn't an insulting offer, financially, but the 1 year plus option is insulting, if you are Torre.

If you are the Yankees, you hand the manager the best lineup in baseball, year in and year out. And you run into a buzz saw team every year in the 1st round. Maybe Torre didn't have the personnel to win a short series, offensively heavy, pitching light is not a recipe for baseball post season wins. The Yankees look at Torre and see a guy who is the best season long manager in history, but who can't get his team to hit or pitch in the recent post season.

It was time for him to go and it was time for him to leave.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

10. Lester Bangs

Getting to the playoffs with the pitching they had should have earned him some Manager of the Year votes.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Unfortunately, with the offense he had, he'll be lucky if he sees more than a couple handfuls -- although the late-season run was very impressive.

12. I can barely type this since I'm laughing so hard. Dude on ESPN news just asked Dusty Baker if he has any advice for Torre.

Man, that's a good one.

Draft saved Draft deleted