1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torre turns down the Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Yeah, look at the Yankees' sustained excellence in the years before he arrived.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Exactly. Pre-'96, they hadn't been to the series since '78.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Went in 1981 and lost to the Dodgers.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Whoops, my mistake, you're right. Either way, it had been quite a while.

5. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

As a Yankees fan, I honestly don't know how to feel about this.

We've known it was coming for, what, a few years now at least? But it still doesn't make it any easier. The Boss fucked up big time here, and he's trying to cover his ass by saying Torre turned them down.

This is the biggest fucking mistake The Boss can make, IMHO. Twelve consecutive years in the postseason, 4 World Series rings and countless division crowns, and this is how he's treated? Fuck that.

6. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Torre will probably go back into broadcasting - he was already good at it before he had the NYC celebrity thing going for him. And if he's lucky, Jim Belushi might be able to get financing for "Taking Care of Business 2" so he can return in his role as color guy for the Cubs win over the Angels in the Series.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Bobby Cox never faced that criticism from the Atlanta brass.

8. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

New York > Atlanta.

9. Gold

Gold Active Member

The "offer" was designed to be turned down. This way, they can say they didn't fire Torre.

Torre had a great run, but would a 67-year-old manager who is attached to his veterans be the right manager for a team which will need younger players for a transition? The problem is that who can do better than Torre?

10. Chef

Chef Active Member

Good for Torre.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I wouldn't doubt that, whatsoever. Torre will be fine. He's already rich, he'll have managerial opportunities from which to choose, he can have any number of broadcasting jobs and he'll command almost as much as Bill Clinton on the speech-giving circuit.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

So, because New York > Atlanta, Torre deserved to be run into the gutter this way? Sorry, I don't care how many championships you've won, there's no excuse for throwing someone who has served this well for this long under the bus.
    Funny, I was wondering if the Yankees would call Cox. He's got ties to the organization, played in pinstripes, etc.

Draft saved Draft deleted