1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torre turns down the Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Can't go on forever.

Well I keep holdin' on to yesterday
    I keep holdin' on enough to say
    That I'm wrong
    I keep thinkin'that I'm lonely
    But it's only missing you inside
    Days that we were once together
    Seems they'll never come alive
    So I keep holdin' on to yesterday
    That it's wrong
    [ Lyrics provided by www.mp3lyrics.org ]
    Lord I don't know when I'll see you
    I can't reach you anymore
    If I'd only known I'd need you
    Then I'd keep you like before
    I keep holdin' on to yesterday
    That I'm wrong, wrong, wrong
    To keep holdin' on
    My yesterdays have all gone by...

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think we're talking about feeding his family here. It's a pay cut, for one thing. It is also a one-year deal, which leaves him more vulnerable to being fired in mid-season next year if they do get off to another crappy start.

Again, they knew he wouldn't take it. This was just so they could try to deflect some of the bad PR onto Torre. Classless and gutless move by the Yankees.

Edit: Yeah, what Lester said

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

That's great.

Posada can be replaced by Wil Nieves. ARod with Wilson Betimet. Andy Pettitte with one of the young arms. Who replaces Mo? And which available manager can handle the pressures of being the Yankees manager with the dignity Torre did?

If you think Valentine or LaRussa can, you are sadly mistaken.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Exactly. Enough was definitely enough. You can only shit on someone so many times before they realize they're better than that.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

I'm not disagreeing with any of that. I'm just pointing out that $5-mil guaranteed is higher than any other manager in baseball. Should he collect on all of the bonus money, he would make more than he received the year before.

I don't disagree that this is the Yankees putting on a show, but I didn't really expect anything other than this when the season ended the way it did.

6. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Would La Russa eschew the DH and bat the pitcher eighth?

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

La Russa would be eschew-ed up by the media and the Steinbrenners. Plus, he's never managed in front of fans as maniacal & willing to canibalize their own as Yankee fans. Fuck the "Genius."

8. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Look we made it through Horace Clark and Mel Hall -- we'll get through this.

9. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Plus he'd make more than this season if the Yanks made the World Series.

10. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Torre is such a martyr. He better not go anywhere else or people will remember he's not a particularly good manager.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

He may not be the greatest game manager ever, but no one could have handled that NY clubhouse atmosphere as well as he did.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Amen, Beaker. Only Francona approaches Torre in the managing fragile ego dept.

Draft saved Draft deleted