1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torre turns down the Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Oct 18, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That was horrible ... but I laughed.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Thanks for that visual.

3. markvid

markvid Guest

Have fun with LaRussa, Bronx.
    Games will be 5 hours every damn day.

4. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

He's one step closer to taking the Royals' gig and bringing A-Rod with him.

5. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

As a quick comment... this deal would still make Torre the highest paid manager in baseball. He would just be receiving 2-million less in guaranteed money.

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Anytime!

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Yankees fans can bid adieu to the following players: ARod, Mariano Rivera, Jorge Posada and Andy Pettitte.

Try winning without those guys.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Me, too. ;D

9. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

$2.5 million, but who's counting?

Had Torre taken the deal the story all year would have been the guy who has to sing for his supper ... the guy who has to prove himself. It would have dominated all conversations and they knew he would never take it. The best part would have been had he taken it ... then we could watch Waldman and Sterling try to blow Torre and The Boss at once next year, though I am sure they are more than capable.

I think A-Rod might not opt out now. Without the Yankees, who's going to drive the biddiing beyond the $20 million?

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

By asking him to take a pay cut, they were essentially firing him, but now they can try to make the fans think it was Torre's choice...

11. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I think the fans are just savy enough to see that this wasn't Torre's "choice."

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

But the fans aren't going to believe that, not after The Big Adult Diaper popped off, threatening to can Torre if the Yanks didn't beat Cleveland.

More to the point, it ain't the first time The Big Adult Diaper threatened to fire Torre or not bring him back. Now he has wish.

Draft saved Draft deleted