1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torre turns down the Yankees

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Oz, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He played it better than Randy Levine could ever conceive of playing it.

And that's more than good enough.

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Randy Levine studied at the foot of Rudy Guiliani before being named President of the Yankees. Obviously, Levine mastered his courses in arrogance, political backstabbing and being an aloof incompetent.

3. shockey

shockey Active Member

yeah, he played it out of the best job he ever had or will ever have to the tune of at least $5 mil. well-played, indeed, sir!

levine's an arrogant, baseball foof. not the issue. the issue is what torre had and gave up.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

But if he doesn't want it any more because of all the bullshit and he doesn't need the money, how is that a bad thing?

5. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Jesus, Joe's Got His, in every sense.

If anyone could afford the gesture, he could.

Later.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

joe's a loser here because of my perception that he loved being the manager of the n.y. yankees and he gave that up. if he truly didn't want to be the manager of the n.y. yankees anymore, he would not have flown to tampa to begin with. he found the offer "insulting." so he walked.

he could've stayed. it was FAR from an offer he had to refuse, imo. it's being painted as such, but i disagree. my OPINION is he gave up much more than the yankees did. guess only time will tell.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Well, of course. What captain doesn't do that?

Oh, yeah. Everyone but Jeter.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

What more does he need to accomplish?

9. shockey

shockey Active Member

you're right. he should just kill himself now. ::) ::) ::)

10. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Like shooting fish in a barrel . . .

but Phil does it so well.

12. Gold

Gold Active Member

Shockey, I can't understand how anybody seeing the situation would believe Torre was going down to sign the extension. After the Yankees came close to firing him this year - and Torre batting ARod eighth in Game 4 against Detroit was pretty much a challenge to the organization - a first-round exit this year was a guarantee that Torre wasn't going to be asked to return. The Yankees made the offer because they knew it would be rejected - and yes, the Tampa group has no idea how to turn things around.

The only reason three first-round exits haven't gotten Yankee fans angry is because of Torre's popularity and his image - Joe Torre, the calm guy in the face of tension; Joe Torre, head of the Safe At Home foundation against family abuse; Joe Torre, Brooklyn guy whose sister is a nun holding what probably is the most visable job in New York City - he is certainly more recognizable than the mayor or the governor.

The Yankees couldn't not offer a new contract so they made an offer Torre could refuse. Torre may not get a job in baseball at the start of 2008 - teams generally don't fire managers who have a good situation. I think Torre rejected the offer knowing that.

Draft saved Draft deleted