1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torre to Sue Sheff for Slander

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Aug 17, 2007.

1. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I bet if he were a aging, white player who couldn't hit, he'd be hitting right after A-Rod, right?

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Interesting that Sheffield wrote a book which covered his Yankee years and didn't discuss this topic. Gary's an asshole.
    As a player he is worth his contract on the field but he's worthless as a person off it.

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I agree. He was a douche bag when he was a kid in Milwaukee, and he's a douche bag almost 20 years later. It's not much of a surprise.

4. He just runs his mouth. I think that's different than being a douchebag.

Elijah Dukes ... there's a douchebag. He runs his fists.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Can you explain why Doug Mienkeivich gets a paycheck.

And my understanding is that this is per se slander, so Torre doesn't have to actually prove anything to have Sheffield executed.

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I was in a smartass way saying that the fact that Williams could no longer hit were the reason he's done and it had nothing to do with his race. But what you said is along the lines of what Sheffield is implying, although what he said had little to do with playing time. It was, Torre calls out white players behind closed doors, but he calls out black players in the open clubhouse in front of everyone.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Word is Dougie Consonants has incrminating pitcures of Steinbrenner.

8. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Joe, you're above this kind of stuff. Don't be a pussy like Barry Bonds. Most baseball fans with half a brain take Sheffield's ravings about as seriously as those of Lyndon LaRouche.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Terrier, you've been pwned.

10. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Boom just pm'd me. Joe Morgan will testify on behalf of Torre at the trial.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Will John Miller handle the hard questions, though?

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Actually, that only works if Torre says Shef has a loathsome disease (loathsome being a legal term in this instance).

Draft saved Draft deleted