1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torre rips the Yankees, ARod and GM Brian Cashman in a new book.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 25, 2009.

1. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

That's fair, but I'd say he's gotten his shots in since leaving, too.

I still admire the guy. A heckuva manager. I just thought the blows were unnecessary at this point.

2. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

I'm probably more anti-Yankees than almost anyone on this board, and reading some of the juicy gossip makes me warm and fuzzy inside. I just wish it hadn't come from Torre, as this seems totally out of character. Managers aren't supposed to kiss and tell, especially if you're still active in the game. Bet some of his current Dodger players are going to have some trust issues now.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

I doubt any of this is as "explosive" as the Post is making it sound.
    A-Rod's a prima dona... now there's a bombshell revelation.
    Torre felt Cashman betrayed him in the final meeting with Hank and Hal ... heard him imply that before, too.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Without defending A-Rod's needs, it should be pointed out that dealing with the neuroses of star players is part of the manager's damn job, and in fact was a part of his job Torre is known for doing well. So why bitch about doing it?

5. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Story says the Post bought the book in a store last week. If they read all 477 pages, and those are the biggest bombshells they could find, sounds like the book is a little short on bombshells.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Between Torre and the Steinbrenners, I ( A Yankee Fan) would side with Torre. Between Cashman and Torre, it's a draw. As great as Torre was as a manager of men, a manager of the press and public, he was not a a very good bench manager or a even a very good manager of his pitching staff, especially bull pen.

Revealing that players view ARod with disdain is classless. Discussing how he, Torre, was treated is appropriate.

Besides the money, why else would Torre write?

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Helluva lot better than Girardi last season.

8. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Oh... I don't think they were unnecessary, but I liked Joe being above it.

9. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3859198

One source familiar with the book told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that it's "inaccurate'' to suggest that Torre used it as a forum to get even with the Yankees or settle old scores.

The source said some of the controversial angles being reported in the New York tabloids have been taken out of context or "overblown.''

The book is not a first-person tell-all, but rather, a third-person narrative by Verducci, who interviewed dozens of players and team personnel while researching for the book, the source said.

10. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I had forgotten about how Torre had more or less done this in a Verducci piece a couple years ago.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Verducci credibility went out the window when he went in the tank for Roger Clemens. Anything that he writes now I take with a grain of salt.

12. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I have no idea what's in the book, but in what way does this cover convey a third person account by Verducci?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted