1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torre rips the Yankees, ARod and GM Brian Cashman in a new book.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jan 25, 2009.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Co-authored by SI's Tom Verducci and published by Doubleday, Torre offers the following on his tenure with the Yankees:

• In an explosive new book called "The Yankee Years," Torre gets most personal in his attacks against Alex Rodriguez, who he says was called "A-Fraud" by his teammates after he developed a "Single White Female"-like obsession with team captain Derek Jeter and asked for a personal clubhouse assistant to run errands for him.
    • Torre spent years trying to bring out a winning performance from A-Rod, the highest-paid player in baseball, which from all reported accounts included a lot of hand-holding and battling the insecurities and demons Rodriguez struggles with.
    • The book also reveals that, during spring training in 1999, team doctors revealed to owner George Steinbrenner that Torre had prostate cancer - even before informing the manager himself.
    • Torre, who left the Yankees and became manager of the Los Angeles Dodgers after the 2007 season, says Cashman never told the brass that the manager wanted a two-year deal and instead remained silent during Torre's tense final sitdown with the bosses.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/01252009/news/regionalnews/torre_rips_a_fraud__boss_brass_bozos_151965.htm

2. WFAN just lost the need for a program director.

3. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

"I'm tellin ya, Torre might have won us four World Series rings, but I think this proves he was never a real Yankee! I hope he enjoys himself out there in LA, where no one care about sports like we do!"

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I think you'd be hard pressed to find many Yankee fans who wouldn't side with Torre in this catfight.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, I know what I'm buying on my way to work today. :D

6. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed Torre went this route. I bought his success-with-honor schtick, and this totally undoes it.

Oh, yeah, he's 100 percent right, too.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

wfw.

Very sad to read this.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

It's hard to stay clean, after enduring years and years in a mudbed, with pigs.

9. My admiration for Torre is diminished not at all.

10. How about we wait until we see what's actually in the book before we condemn Torre's character? Not sure I'd rely on the Post to impartially - or even accurately - report its contents.

11. The NYP?
    Unpossible!

12. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I've spoken to two Yankees fan buddies this afternoon. So far, you're 2-for-2.

Guess my ignorant ass should stick to NL affairs. I get fuzzy when a DH is involved.

Draft saved Draft deleted