1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torpedos Over Tripoli

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Oh, please. Not like he's grown up in the first 8 years of the 100 Years War.

2. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

He brings down a commercial plane, then the pressure to send ground troops will start immediately.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Funny. Many people in the world have demanded we come to the aid of the Libyan rebels.

Another funny thing: if a Republican president took the exact same action, he'd be a war-monger, or trading blood for oil.

4. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

Representing another's words as your own -- as you did here -- is plagiarism.

And this is a board for journalists, or once was. Perhaps you want to atrribute your post. Perhaps you want to drop the trolling act. Whether one supports or opposes this action, it's legislatively authorized by the NATO and United Nations treaties. Your search for hypocrisy comes up, again, empty. And you just look stupid.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm sorry. Are you a working journalist? You've never mentioned it.

I assumed it was obvious that I was quoting our President. You understood that. I'm sure the other members of this board did too.

6. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

You're not allowed to assume it's obvious, troll. Attribute your quotations.

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ok, sockpuppet, do we want to be a bit more civilized here? Or do you want to keep being adversarial?

8. YankeeFan

How many handles are you up to now?

I think we know who the troll is.

But, your record for trying to get any thread that has even the most mild criticism of the President locked is intact. Well done.

9. YankeeFan

Well, I suppose the clock has started. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If we can go into Grenada and Panama, action in Libya is easier to justify, especially with Gadaffi or however your spell his name's actions in the past.

11. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Or... Libya?
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

I've got a pretty good idea why.

1. Obama is closing in on his re-election campaign and wants to head off the charge that he is weak on national security and defense and won't stand up for American principles of freedom. Never mind that Qadaffi is no threat to U.S. interests right now, or that this act on Obama's part won't head off those attack ads anyway (since Democrats, rightly or wrongly, have already been framed as weak on national security and defense and American principles of freedom).

2. War is very profitable for companies like Lockheed-Martin, Northrop Grumman, etc. that make toys for the military. Those companies also contribute (and have the money and power to contribute) to politicians who do their bidding. Thanks to the Citizens United ruling, they also have increased ability to donate to outside groups that oppose certain politicians. And if there is one thing that scares politicians, it is the prospect of somebody taking away their power and perks.

3. Oil companies are also very influential in American politics. And while the U.S. gets little if any oil from Libya, oil companies that also do business in the U.S. do get oil from Libya.

4. If friggin' France is up for a fight, how does the U.S. look if it sits it out?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.