1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toronto's obscene cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Illino

Illino Member

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=CAN_TS&ref_pge=tpt

I don't know much about the media differences between the U.S. and Canada, but what does everyone think of the Toronto Sun cover with people flipping the bird?

2. Kato

Kato Active Member

You know, I'm all for taste considerations on photos. But I also think there is a time when you have to show a photo and tell the truth. Imagine for a moment that the guys in that picture aren't flipping the bird. Now consider the picture with them doing that. It's a pretty powerful picture, isn't it? That picture tells the story of people who riot after their team loses and don't give a fuck about anything. Not sure how it would fly at other papers but I simply can't think of a better picture to tell the story than that one.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's not a photo of two dudes flipping the bird.

It's a photo that's representative of the riot, with two people in team gear, burning wreckage, and a crowd gathered. They just happen to be flipping the bird; it's not really part of the context of the photo.

4. Illino

Illino Member

I agree with your point Kato. I just think about the bigger papers in my region, and I know (well, I'm 99% sure) there'd be an uproar if they published that on their front page.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

A mobile home was stolen?

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Somewhat ironically, I had a reporter submit a photo earlier in the day with a woman giving the finger in it. In that instance, I thought it was gratuitous and unnecessary. In the instance of the Star shot, however, I think it captured a moment and it was appropriate.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"What else are you going to do when you lose the Stanley Cup? You riot."

A money quote if ever there was.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I would not have run this photo if it were my call. The message is the same, whether it's conveyed by the actions of this idiot or in 12-inch letters on his shirt, and I'm not keen on putting that front and center. I understand why others disagree.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It would seem that there'd a hundred other phots available that didn't happen to have people flipping off in it.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We don't even think twice about something like this anymore, but a different medium, and a different time.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Upon further review: I dunno about not running it. That photo tells a lot, mainstream newspaper or no....

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Did every Canadian paper run the story this prominently on its 1A?

I mean, it could not have been played any bigger in the Toronto paper had it been the Leafs.

Draft saved Draft deleted