1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toronto's obscene cover

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Illino, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Illino

Illino Member

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=CAN_TS&ref_pge=tpt

I don't know much about the media differences between the U.S. and Canada, but what does everyone think of the Toronto Sun cover with people flipping the bird?

2. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

You know, I'm all for taste considerations on photos. But I also think there is a time when you have to show a photo and tell the truth. Imagine for a moment that the guys in that picture aren't flipping the bird. Now consider the picture with them doing that. It's a pretty powerful picture, isn't it? That picture tells the story of people who riot after their team loses and don't give a fuck about anything. Not sure how it would fly at other papers but I simply can't think of a better picture to tell the story than that one.

3. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

It's not a photo of two dudes flipping the bird.

It's a photo that's representative of the riot, with two people in team gear, burning wreckage, and a crowd gathered. They just happen to be flipping the bird; it's not really part of the context of the photo.

4. Illino

Illino Member

I agree with your point Kato. I just think about the bigger papers in my region, and I know (well, I'm 99% sure) there'd be an uproar if they published that on their front page.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

A mobile home was stolen?

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Somewhat ironically, I had a reporter submit a photo earlier in the day with a woman giving the finger in it. In that instance, I thought it was gratuitous and unnecessary. In the instance of the Star shot, however, I think it captured a moment and it was appropriate.

7. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

"What else are you going to do when you lose the Stanley Cup? You riot."

A money quote if ever there was.

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

I would not have run this photo if it were my call. The message is the same, whether it's conveyed by the actions of this idiot or in 12-inch letters on his shirt, and I'm not keen on putting that front and center. I understand why others disagree.

9. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

It would seem that there'd a hundred other phots available that didn't happen to have people flipping off in it.

10. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

We don't even think twice about something like this anymore, but a different medium, and a different time.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Upon further review: I dunno about not running it. That photo tells a lot, mainstream newspaper or no....

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Did every Canadian paper run the story this prominently on its 1A?

I mean, it could not have been played any bigger in the Toronto paper had it been the Leafs.

Draft saved Draft deleted