1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toronto Star going private

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HanSenSE, May 27, 2020.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

2. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I have only briefly been to Canada and know absolutely nothing about the newspaper industry there. So I ahve the follwoing questions.

1. The Toronto Star is an afternoon newspaper. Does Canada still have a lot of afternoon newspapers or did the others go to the grave,a s they have south of the border, in the 80's.

2. The article showed a picture of a tall building with a Toronto Star sign on the side. Is this building part of the sale. Are the new owners angling for the real estate and will soon close the newspaper and redevelop the property as happened with the Tampa Tribune?

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

The Toronto Star is not an afternoon newspaper and hasn't been for decades. I don't believe there are many, if any, afternoon newspapers here. There were a couple in Atlantic Canada a few years back.

I believe the building has already been sold to a developer and it was not included in this sale.

Draft saved Draft deleted