1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford tossed from office

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Nov 26, 2012.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

With any luck at all, the alleged crack accusation, if proved, will be the end of Ford.

2. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

A bit of smoke here, but very Twitteresque reporting. Pics that at least show some resemblance to Mayor McGrease or GTFO.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The aforementioned Marion Berry was not much better.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Marion_Berry

4. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

How did Harris pull off amalagation? Did the former suburbs vote for it (which I would find surprising) of were they forced in?

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

DOWNTOWN ELITES111111111111

[​IMG]

Toronto has always had an inferior complex about wanting to be a "world class city". At least with Ford it is getting all the worldwide attention it craves.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I think it was an act of provincial Parliament that forced them in.

7. LanceyHoward

Roughly, how many of the wards were former suburbs?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I will certainly defer to our GTA (Greater Toronto Area) folks on that one becaue I don't really know. My understanding of alamagamation that it was six distinct cities that were combined, not a bunch of loose suburbs.

Most people in the rest of Canada seem to consider the GTA as Toronto.

9. LanceyHoward

The reason I ask is that Elinor Ostrom, who is the only woman to win a Nobel Prize in Economics, started her academic career comparing citizen satisfaction between small town and big city police departments and found small town departments always have higher citizen satisfaction. Removing local control is almost always a political third rail and Ford's cries of "downtown elites" would resonate, and probably not unfairly.

Which is not to defend Ford. I am interested because I have worked on a couple of proposed governmental mergers and seen how emotional the proposed consolidations become.

10. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

In that graphic, looks like Smitherman's crowd is flipping us the bird!

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Lancey, the pro-Smitherman wards are almost an exact match of the former City of Toronto pre 1997.

The blue wards would be the cities swallowed up; Etobicoke, Scarborough, East York, North York.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

That's what I thought, too!

Draft saved Draft deleted