1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford tossed from office

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Nov 26, 2012.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

2. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As a Torontonian I could do a Ragu length post on this but I'll hold back

Rob Ford, as mayor of the largest city in Canada, has been an unmitigated disaster in his first two years . He's been a belligerent bully who doesn't think the rules apply to him.

He has routinely missed important council meetings to coach his high school football team and when confronted, comes up with the well known argument around sj: "Think of the children!"

This latest conflict of interest matter which had him turfed out of office could have been easily fixed: he only had to pay back the $3000 dollars he collected for his football team using his position as a councilor before he was mayor.

Not only did he not pay it back, he voted against the motion in a City of Toronto council meeting where he shouldn't have been in attendance.

And all the time his brother Doug Ford, an equally obnoxious councilor, has lambasted everyone who didn't support his mayor brother

The dynamic duo has refused to grant any interviews to The Toronto Star, the newspaper with the largest circulation in the country since the Star uncovered the conflict of interest issue.

He's a buffoon and a clown and an embarrassment.

Oh, and this petition to have him removed from office was started by a private citizen.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Am thinkin HC is doing the happy dance...

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

You better believe it! I didn't vote for him but understand how he got elected. I hoped to be pleasantly surprised and instead all my worst fears were realized.

This could bite everyone in the ass. He's going to fight this tooth and nail claiming it was a vendetta by the 'loony left'. He is completely incapable of any kind of self-awareness.

6. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

What is with you folks in Toronto and your whacked out mayors?

How did he get elected? Were the other options that bad?

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Elected by angry residents of the former suburbs who felt they were being run roughshod over by the 'downtown elite' after Mike Harris foisted amalgamation on us.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I don't live in the city of Toronto (and my 'burb was not one of the ones swallowed up in amalgamation), but would have voted for Ford. This comes as no surprise to JR and HC.

However he did become (or maybe always was) a complete bumbling idiot. And his fucking brother is a complete tool.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

He's always been a drunk, a liar, a loudmouth, a bully, and a complete douchebag.

Back when ER was playing HS football, I went to one of his game against Don Bosco. After the game I asked ER, "Who was that fat guy on the sidelines screaming at the kids?"

"That's our local councillor Rob Ford"

But HC's right. Before Miller foisted almagamation on us, each city or borough had their own local government and there was a Metro executive committee made up of all the mayors (and some other politicians, can't remember the numbers)

So the mayor of the old City of Toronto was just one voice.

Fredo Ford thought he had been annointed dictator. And like Huggy, there are a lot of people who voted for him, who are now appalled at his antics.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, other than Ford, Mel Lastman, the appliance salesmanl, was the only other whack job we've had.

But as I have said, Ford makes Lastman look like Lester B. Pearson.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

12. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Was 't he the guy who had the bike lanes erased? They were already painted on the road and he spent money painting over them to make room for more traffic.

Draft saved Draft deleted