1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toronto had a wee bit of a storm yesterday.... here are some pics

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Jul 9, 2013.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

A month of rain in a few hours. Still areas with lights out.

http://storify.com/WinnipegNews/toronto-storm-july-8-2013/slideshow

Doom and gloom

[​IMG]

Commuter train that runs beside the Don River. And there were apparently Motherfucking Snakes on the Train.

[​IMG]

This, ladies and gentlemen, is an eight lane expressway---right next to HC's work (427 for those who know)

[​IMG]

The schadenfreude pic. A $300,000 Ferrari

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Lucky for me ... power came on at home at 2AM but not at my office. Day off with pay!! :D

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, mine wasn't off. Had to work but at least you picked me up

4. eiregi

eiregi Member

You guys get the rains, we in Buffalo get the snow. 85 miles apart but Lake Erie tempers the summer storms for us. I think I'll take the occasional heavy snow versus a flash flood, snow doesn't flow and I hope all is well now up there.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I think there are still some rolling blackouts in some areas tonight as they get the power back up. Our end of the subway was closed all day due to flooding and there were still large areas in our end of the city without power until late this afternoon. Getting back to normal now, I think.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I heard you guys were going to get it pretty good. Haven't looked yet, I suppose I could googles it, but any talk on damage, people displaced, etc. Hope you guys managed to stay dry, etc.

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

That stretch of the 427 is a zoo at all times of the day, surreal to see it like that. Out here in the 'burbs we got loads of rain but there were no power issues.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

So when was the last time you had a recorded rain like this?

9. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I can never remember anything like this in the Toronto area. JR lived here when it was known as Muddy York so I will defer to his experience. :)

10. HC

HC Well-Known Member

According to the Toronto Star "...Monday evening’s storm dumped a record-breaking 126 millimetres of rain in a single day. That’s more than the previous record of 121 millimetres set in 1954 when Hurricane Hazel invaded southern Ontario."

Basically, we received the normal rainfall for the entire month of July in one hour.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I saw video from up there of a manhole cover being blown around by rainwater trying to escape the drainage. It was pretty wild.

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Wow.

Draft saved Draft deleted