1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Toronto FC unveils its new soccer jersey.....Yuck.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by JR, Mar 23, 2007.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

The owner of the Canadians and the Liverpool soccer club is at the NASCAR race in Bristol as a guest of one of the teams...second time he's been so far...

2. I've got an order out for an Alecko Eskandarian Toronto FC shirt. I don't mind the colors, and who cares if the Bank of Montreal signed the shirt deal. It's certainly a better bank than ScotiaBank or TD.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Oh, good. If you love the Bank of Montreal much, can I send you the bill for my monthly service charges? :)

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I actually like the jersey. The sponsor splashed right across the middle is not a surprise, outside the fact it's not Rogers or some other Toronto based business. Or is BMO now out of TO? It's been about 10 years since I switched to a local Credit Union so I have no idea anymore about BMO.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Bank of Montreal's head office is in Toronto.

As a sidebar, the building in the Hockey Hall of Fame that houses all the trophies is a former BMO building from the 19th century.

6. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

I like the new threads. And I like the sponsor logo in the middle - makes it feel more like a football side and less like a low-rent men's open league at your local sportsplex.

And I like Columbus' colors. The black and gold are always a good match.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I think Vodaphone used to sponsor Man Utd, as did Sharp in the early 90s.

Here are the Premiership jersey sponsors (I had to gin up this myself; couldn't find a stinking list anywhere):

Arsenal — Emirates
    Aston Villa — 32red
    Blackburn Rovers — Bet24
    Bolton Wanderers — Reebok
    Charlton Athletic — Llanera
    Chelsea — Samsung
    Everton — Chang Beer
    Fulham — Pipex
    Liverpool — Carlsberg
    Man City — Thomas Cook
    Man Utd — AIG
    Middlesbrough — 888.com
    Newcastle Utd — Northern Rock
    Portsmouth — OKI
    Reading — Kyocera
    Sheffield Utd — CapitalOne
    Tottenham Hotspur — Mansion
    Watford — Loans.co.uk
    West Ham Utd — Jobserve
    Wigan Athletic — JJB

8. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Nice work cobbling up that list... and you're right about Sharp and ManU - that sponsorship lasted from 1982 to 2000 years before they went to Vodaphone for five before they bolted after 2005-06. PSV Eindhoven has had Philips as its primary sponsor since 1983, and still going strong....

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Don't expect PSV to ever change "sponsorship." The "P" stands for Philips as they own them.

I hope, for your sake, that all of the Esky trade rumors don't come to fruition.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

1. Why isn't Newcastle sponsored by the beer?
    2. How has GoldenPalace.com not gotten its logo on a Premiership kit yet?

11. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

1. I believe they are. Northern Rock, to my knowledge, is one of their brews.
    2. Well, they do have Bet24!

12. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

Man U's all blue alternates look sweet as hell though, those should be ripped off.

Draft saved Draft deleted