1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tornadoes roll through NE Colorado, SE Wyoming

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 2muchcoffeeman, May 22, 2008.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Damn. Biggest funnel cloud I've ever seen.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/weather/2008/05/22/von.co.funnel.cloud.kusa

1 person dead in Windsor, Colo.

http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/05/22/colorado.tornado.video/index.html

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Scary stuff, eh?

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, big-time scary.

It was headed for Fort Collins, where my sister lives, at one point but stayed to the east until it hopped over I-25 northeast of FTC.

My brother-in-law was driving down I-25 when it was coming through and he was in part of the massive thunderstorm. "It was like driving into a black wall." He saw the funnel cloud but it missed him.

My sister and brother-in-law have friends in Windsor, but they and their property (barely, like a half-mile away from destruction) are OK. Still, freaky stuff for that part of the state.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

Glad your people are okay, MileHigh.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Thanks.

6. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Dear friends in Cheyenne and Laramie are in my thoughts. Most of 'em have checked in. One said it was much ado about nothing but them's some scary things. Whew.

Rarely happens where there's no humidity. Laramie crew said people were walking down Grand Avenue as civil defense sirens blared. Gack!

7. 2muchcoffeeman

And here we go again: Tornado warning has been issued for areas just west of Cheyenne, Wyo., until the top of the hour.

http://wyomingnews.com/articles/2008/05/23/breaking_news/11local_05-23-08.txt

When I worked at the Cheyenne paper, most of the staff headed for the back stairwell and down when a warning was called. Then there were us idiots who grabbed a camera and headed to the roof. :D

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

This is an uneasy time of year here in Cowshitistan. From the Dakotas to Texas, people start to pay a lot of attention to the weather in the late afternoon. Tornado warnings in Kansas right now.

9. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Tornado warnings in Greensburg, Kasnas.

Yes, the same place wiped off the map a year ago.

Here's hoping the storm misses...

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Solid line of red border-to-border across western Kansas on the last radar loop I checked. Dodge City just caught it and Hays is next.

Looks like it's trying to back-build south into the Texas panhandle.

Draft saved Draft deleted