1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Tornado hits my area. Eerie.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Apr 28, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Just turned on the tube in my office after The Queen called. A tornado tore a path through my area, about five minutes from my house. Hurled around some cars, tore up some stores.

About 15 years ago, a severe tornado here tore the roof off a Wal-Mart and did a bunch of damage.

Today's damage is in the exact same spot.

Called a neighbor to make sure the house was OK. He said we just got a lot of rain. He didn't even know it got that bad down that-a-way (I work about 25 miles from home) until he turned on the TV after I called.

I just find it hitting the same spot to be very eerie.

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

God's telling you your school needs a football team...

3. God's telling you to make the tournament next year.
    Hope everyone at Casa Moddy is OK, including Casa Moddy itself.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Glad you squeaked by.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Glad all you and yours are OK, but it's also someone trying to tell the world we have too many Walmarts.

6. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Amen, Brother.

7. Moderator1

Well, the new Wal-Mart didn't get hit.

We just got a ton of rain, which allowed me to discover I have two new leaks. Clean-up has been a task but 200 are hurt and one dead about 80 miles from here. Not many hurt - and no one seriously according to TV reports - in the mess near me. Just a bunch of cars and businesses.

8. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

I remember driving through your area when I was a child with my parents and we were on the back end of a tornado. Cars were in trees and houses were torn apart. We were lucky we didn't leave sooner from our home a few hours away.

9. Moderator1

Was that the 1993 tornado? That one was ugly.

Odd story. Indulge me.
    It hit the day my mom had a stroke. So I haul up to Northern Virginia. I check my messages a few hours later, one of my best friends asks if I'm OK. I'm thinking as I call him back, odd, who told him? So I reach him and say, "Not so much, no. My mom is about to die."
    He said he was sorry to hear that, but that wasn't why he was calling. Told me me about the Wal-Mart and big tornado. And then drove to check on my house, not knowing what all was going on down here. That's why he remains one of my best friends.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Must have been the 1993 tornado then. I think it hit around Thanksgiving, if I am correct.

11. Moderator1

August actually.

12. Rumpleforeskin

That's right. I was headed to the Outer Banks and we were stopping at my uncle's house.

Draft saved Draft deleted