1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torii Hunter wants to be a Nat?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 18, 2007.

1. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

A team that was counting on John Patterson to be its ace last year, and seems to think Shawn Hill can be its ace (beyond having both arm surgery and left shoulder surgery this off-season) next year ... well, I gotta say they're a LEEEEEETLE ways away. :D

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I could see the Red Sox paying someone to take Lugo off their hands, much like they did with Renteria. And I would expect Lugo could put up numbers similar to Renteria's if he got out of Boston.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They would do that with Drew before they would do that with Lugo.

4. patchs

patchs Active Member

Lugo played for Acta in the minors and he should come cheap, so it's possible he could be a Nat.

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

They have no one in the wings right away to take over for Lugo, patchs. With Drew, they could plug in Ellsbury or, if they wanted to wait another season before having Ellsbury start full-time, bring in someone (Kielty?) to platoon with him.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I know the Sox have good outfielders in the wings, but don't they have some SS stud coming up as well? Plus, Lugo's contract isn't as costly as Drew's.

Edit: Just saw your post. I could have sworn there was someone Sox fans were clamoring for. But maybe not.

7. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Sure they do. Hanley Ramirez, a blue-chip stud. He'll probably be up with them ... oh, wait. Well, they used to have a dynamite shortstop in the wings.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Mike, that trade was totally worth it.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

For what Beckett and Lowell are doing now, there's no doubt. But what were your feelings about it last year? I think those two were encouraging to a point. But when Ramirez came into his own, did you have any doubts about the trade?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Lowell had a decent season last year, and Beckett, you knew he'd come into his prime sometime between 2007 and 2009.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's a shame the Sox didn't hang onto Mota. They really could have used him.

Draft saved Draft deleted