1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torii Hunter wants to be a Nat?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 18, 2007.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's not such a bad thing and probably what it looks like on a spread sheet. Cammy's an excellent player. I'd say Torii's in the Top 1 among center fielders defensively and he's become a very good hitter with above-average power, as well. Off-the-charts leadership ability.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

There's a bunch of young pitchers they love - not sure if they can match those two. They drafted two lefties in the first round and signed one out of the sixth who was ready to go to Stanford. Word is all three are real good. They have a couple of other young arms who have been around a year or two.
    They may not be that far away. Or maybe they are and I'm just an optimistic old fool.

Did Hunter sign yet?

3. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Not that I've seen.

4. Moderator1

Yeah, I was being facetious. They can't even declare yet.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Eh. I tried to help.

6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Not a bad thing at all, he's a fine player. Just not worth what I think he's going to get.

7. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

At this stage in his career, he might be at his last chance to get a long-term deal. I don't think the Braves are going to give it to him, because their most pressing need is starting pitching. Francoeur is a year from being arbitration eligible, and they'll want to lock him up long-term, as well has making an attempt at keeping Teixeira. Hunter will likely not get an offer of more than two years from the Braves.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. Better to keep Teixeira and Francoeur, add some pitching help and go more the bargain-basement route for CF help.

9. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Worth noting here that the author of the piece is also African-American.
    I seriously don't think the topic comes up otherwise.

10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

Rebuilding.

11. Moderator1

I prefer "emerging" but you are probably more accurate.

Team won 73 games in a year most expected 55-60. Did it without Alfonso Soriano, Nick Johnson, Jose Guillen and Jose Vidro. Did it without a dominant pitcher - no one won more than eight games. Did it the year before moving into a nice new stadium.
    Far from a powerhouse.
    Nowhere near moribund.

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Coco Crisp? I bet they can get him for 60 cents on the dollar, thus completing the Marte for Crisp deal that could have cut out the middle man.

Draft saved Draft deleted