1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torii Hunter wants to be a Nat?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

There would certainly be a media storm. Of all the places that white people can pick to live and still be near white people, why on earth would anyone choose Utah?

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Normally, I would agree, but the Nationals came into town as the No. 2 team in a crowded sports market. Their success wasn't guaranteed, especially if the Orioles actually had put a decent product out on the field.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he'll get paid market value, maybe a little less, because Torii won't necessarily take the top dollar deal. And, let's face it, he was underpaid by quite a bit the first eight or nine years of his career, first because he lacked free agency and then because he took a below-market deal to stay with the Twins. I have no problem with Torii getting paid.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Can someone just remind me again, who owns the Nats?

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Ted Lerner, a D.C.-area developer.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Torii Hunter.

New ballpark.

Enough said. This could make the Nats competitive. It's like the Tigers of a few years ago. When Pudge went there and told people it was a great place to play, that opened the eyes of major leaguers to Detroit.

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

So what would be an appropriate term?

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I hate to say it, but Hunter will probably end up in Atlanta. The Braves need a center fielder, and Hunter wants to win. I think it'd be a great fit, and he'd be a huge asset on both sides of the ball.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Except Detroit also had bunch of big-time power arms to build around like Bonderman and Verlander. Not sure if the Nationals have that.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Hunter has the possibility of commanding the same pay day as another certain Gold Glove outfielder who just left Atlanta. If the Braves don't want to pay Andruw Jones type money, I am sure Hunter is going to ask for something comparable.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Joel Hanrahan is deeply offended by the comment...

12. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

He's an upper middle class man's Mike Cameron.

Draft saved Draft deleted