1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Torii Hunter wants to be a Nat?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 18, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071017&content_id=2270739&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb&partnered=rss_mlb

Torri Hunter is listing Atlanta and Washington as two of the top teams on his lists if he does leave Minnesota as a free agent. He is pointing to a large African-American population in the area as one reason Washington would be a draw for him. Please see wicked's post below. Helping to get more African-Americans exposed to the game is a high priority for Hunter.

Another reason Hunter cites for considering the Nationals is the chance to play with Dmitri Young, a good friend of his.

Paging Moddy...

Edit: Clarified to explain why the large African-American community in that area is important to Hunter.

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

That would be an upset. I thought he was a shoo-in for the Rangers.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Moddy's co-workers don't know why Moddy just gave them the "O face".

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Torii is very committed to finding opportunities to expose more young African-Americans to baseball. It hasn't been an easy thing to do in Minneapolis. If he does decide to leave the Twins, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes to a city with a big African-American population. Or Texas, of course, because he lives there.

5. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

As much as I would like to see him stay with the Twins, Hunter to the Nats would be fantastic. It would give a moribund franchise an EXTREMELY marketable player, even if he's on the wrong side of 30. Plus, his constant efforts to foster more black involvement in baseball is highly commendable.

BTW, that new ballpark should be absolutely fantastic. Can't wait to see what it will look like with the cherry trees in full bloom out in the left field stands.

6. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I truly don't have a problem with Hunter's reasons for liking Washington. It won't and shouldn't get a negative reaction. But if a white NBA player said he wanted to play for Utah because there are a lot of white people there, my guess is that there would be a media storm.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Moribund?

Any MLB.com writer who calls a free agent is liable to be able to get a similar story for whatever city. I'll believe it when it happens. He'll go wherever he's offered the most money, period. It's that simple.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

There's a difference: White folk weren't tacitly banned from the NBA for a few decades.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So moribund that they led the NL East for two-thirds of the season two years ago?

So moribund that the team has repeatedly competed, despite being gutted by Claude Brochu, Jeffrey Loria and MLB?

So moribund that the team was drawing 40,000-plus regularly when it was competitive?

So moribund that Peter Angelos had a shit fit when the franchise moved to D.C. in the first place?

10. outofplace

Sorry, my fault on the very short paraphrasing of the story. Hunter specifically mentions what wicked posted about above, his desire to help expose more young African-Americans to baseball. It isn't just about wanting to be around more African-Americans for his own sake, though I can absolutely see you reading it that way from my initial post.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't know where he ends up, but I can virtually guarantee that he will be overpaid.

12. outofplace

Some of that is a bit unfair, wicked. Angelos was ready to fight any franchise moving to D.C. And any franchise would get a huge boost from moving into a new market.

Though I think moribund might not be the best word.

Draft saved Draft deleted