1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Topsail Island, NC - tips, thoughts, etc...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Feb 5, 2015.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

This is sounding sweeter and sweeter... a much nicer option than the OBX.

There are a couple spots on the island that seem to have more homes (condos) than the other spots, but it seems like the place is pretty wide open. I also saw that to get to the beach from many of the areas you have to cross the main road, but that does not seem to be too much of an issue either.

I'm just looking for potential things to avoid now. We are heading down in June.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

3. Moderator1

4. 93Devil

If I stay in Surf City or south of Surf City, am I still OK with car traffic and beach (people) traffic?

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ricks Sports Bar is not a bad place just across bridge in Sneads Ferry
    Rick's Restaurant & Sports Bar, Sneads Ferry - Menu, Prices & Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor
    Gets crowded though do to limited choices.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

7. Moderator1

Don't stay up north near the inlet

North Topsail Beach Erosion

Sad - our realtor called yesterday and moved us off the inlet portion and onto the main drag. One of the pictures in that slide show was taken right on the spot of the beach where we've hung out on our visits. It is a real mess on that portion of the island.

8. 93Devil

9. Moderator1

A little more, watching these is bothering me. The "2338" near the end of the this is the duplex we stayed in the first year we went

North Topsail Beach Erosion

10. EStoess

EStoess Member

Crowded in comparison to 30 years ago, but not compared to Myrtle or any higher profile place. Slightly more crowded near the piers and any public beach access. I think this will be the first year in 42 I won't visit Surf City. Parents just moved back north after retiring there full time about 10 years ago after owning/renting for many years.

Breezeway is the classic local family friendly old school fried seafood joint with great views right on the sound in South Topsail I'd guess it would be (great hush puppies). Beauchaines is just across the drawbridge, also great views on the sound side in Surf City, and is a higher end fine dining feel with great food. Daddy Mac's is a more casual restaurant on the ocean side of Surf City by the pier, with a big and pretty good menu. Sears Landing is solid. I think my parents liked Mainsail, but I don't recall eating there.

Traffic getting on the island, via the drawbridge, can get annoying from late morning to mid afternoon on summer Saturdays because I think 2 is check-in time and the bridge goes up on every hour (pending boats). If you can, avoid that, and leaving at that time or a little before (checkout is 11 I think).

Echo the turtle hospital on the island, and the battle ship and exploring Wilmington (some great restaurants) provides some good rainy day activities and the aquarium is solid if you head a little south. Great place. Without the cottage on the beach to visit, we're exploring Folly Beach and Charleston this summer, and then Greenville on the way home instead, but I'll miss Surf City. Now I really do.

Happy to help if you have any other questions. If you're looking for low-key and relaxed, you can't go wrong. Also some solid golf.

11. 93Devil

Thanks everyone.

Places to take a seven-year-old to eat and things to do would be great.

We might enter the island away from the main pier. I'll research it more once it gets closer to the date.

12. EStoess

EStoess Member

Not sure if the high rise bridge is any better. Drawbridge slows things down on every hour, by like 5 minutes, but Saturdays could be an hour or two if that's when everyone is leaving/arriving. Getting in mid morning and not checking in or arriving in the evening might save you some headaches after a long drive.

For a seven year old, Breezeway for sure. Almost all families in there, and a pretty little pier to walk out back to. Daddy Mac's is also very relaxed and family friendly and you can get a burger or pizza, in addition to great seafood. The others would all be fine for kids, too. Beauchaines being the most upscale and quiet.

On the island, the turtle hospital for sure, there's miniature golf, an old school roller rink in Topsail, walk a pier, even fish off it or one on the sound side, and all we've ever done is enjoy the beach. Also a nice park and sound-side pier just on the island in Surf City, pretty near where you're staying I think (if you're there for the 4th, that's the spot to park and watch the fireworks). You can drive to the very end of the island, the south end I think it must be, park and walk to what's an especially wide beach where the ocean meets the sound and as I recall there's a lot more shells there, no waves and it should be pretty desolate. We'd occasionally do that and pack a lunch, although it's been a while. No cottages or anything, and it must have been open to the public.

Draft saved Draft deleted