1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Topps of the Pops

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bubbler, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

It amused me when I was kid that Topps would essentially re-cycle its designs for its baseball cards for its football cards and vice versa the same year or a year later. To wit ...

[​IMG][​IMG]

1985 Topps football 1986 Topps baseball

What I didn't know, but should have suspected, was that Topps was doing the same thing for its English soccer cards. I didn't even know Topps did English soccer cards, but not only did they do them, they did them in a very familiar style.

[​IMG][​IMG]

1978 Topps football 1979-80 Topps soccer

[​IMG][​IMG]

1976 Topps baseball 1977-78 Topps soccer

[​IMG][​IMG]

1975 Topps baseball 1975-76 Topps soccer

Etc., etc.

I wonder if Donruss did English soccer cards? Donruss Pitch Kings, anyone?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I don't know about you, but I used to wear out my copy of Samuel Beckett's Price Guide back in the day.

(Seriously, that's kind of freaky. Same bad clip art and everything.)

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Besides being Topps trading cards, what's similar between these two?

The English Premier League cards are freakishly identical, though.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Of course, as an employee of Upper Deck back in the 90s, I can remember when all the manufacturers just dropped the pretense and had the same design for all the sports in a given here. "The Line Look" is what we called it.

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Upper Deck led to the ruination of baseball cards as a hobby for little kids.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So did moms, who insisted you get rid of all those cards cause they're taking up space.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

WFW x 2

8. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So did price guides.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

My mother literally said that to me not two weeks ago. I move around a lot because I rent, so I just leave some of my old stuff at my parents' house, including my baseball card and comic book collections.

I would have been pissed if she got rid of them, especially now that I have a son to pass them on to when he's old enough.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Just for curiosity, I decided to look up who the heck Dave Finzer was. He actually punted for two years in the NFL, one with the Bears and one with the Seahawks.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/F/FinzDa20.htm

11. Ookpik

Ookpik Member

Dr. James Beckett ;)

12. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Same black motif on the border. Same ugly big font, only the baseball card has the team name big and the football card has the player's name big.

I could have pulled others. Pretty sure the 1986 football and 1987 baseball cards are very similar, save the wooden border on the baseball card.

Draft saved Draft deleted