1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Ten Places to Live...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My uncle lives in Middleton ... good for him.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

And by my definition, you take out Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi ... you get the drift.

Not everyone likes it hot.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Which leaves San Diego ... for the 12th week in a row, and with a special not-so-long-distance dedication from Tom in La Mesa to Anne in Carlsbad ... as the No. 1 Place to Live in America. :D

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That's because Collin County was too awesome for the list.

5. Bob Slydell

Bob Slydell Active Member

My biggest problems with this list is the housing costs and WINTER!!!

Sorry, I don't mind winter, but Wisconsin in winter is not one of my desirable spots to live, I don't care how nice it is. Same with the hot weather of Florida. Fine if you're n the Gulf Coast and don't mind hurricanes, but the rest of the state is too humid.

And as expensive as California is, how can it be one of the best place to live. Maybe if you make a ton of money, then you can almost choose where to live.

6. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

I don't see how you possibly put Hillsborough, NJ, on that list, let alone in the top 25. Suburban sprawl at its worst. Horrific rush hour traffic and no town center. Can't buy a decent single-family home for under $350k.

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Coastal Florida is humid. No doubt.

But, it is not even as hot as about 40 percent of the rest of the nation during summer, though. And the breeze is always there.

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Tell him to say hi to Kim and Ron for me. Please and thank you.

9. Full of Shit

Full of Shit Member

I just about shit when I saw my hometown -- Milton, Mass. -- at No. 7. Not that it's not a nice place to live -- it was a very nice place to grow up -- but I've just never seen it mentioned in connection with much of anything in the media. Its only national exposure that I can recall was its listing by USA Today some years ago as the hometown of Earnest Vincent Wright, who wrote a 50,000-word book, Gadsby, without using the letter E. (I've never seen anything else that ties Wright to Milton, though.)

I also had to laugh at this sentence:

"Milton boasts a diverse population, with minorities making up 30%."

When I was growing up there in the '50s and '60s, Milton had one (1) black family. Everybody knew them because, well, because they kind of stood out. The only minority kids in my high school were about 10 blacks bused in from Boston through the Metco program. And Milton wasn't the only lily-white Boston suburb, either. Most of the surrounding towns on the South Shore were similar.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The South got jobbed. Interesting how the two "towns" in Virginia are both better described as Richmond suburbs.

11. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Besides, there are two kinds of people on this board/in this business: the restless ones who have embraced the transient nature of the business, and the lucky ones who have found their place, have been there for a while and will be there forever.

Most of the restless ones do have a short list of places for them, or at least I do. Therefore, what a magazine says about places to live is of little or no consequence. Everybody got their somethin' they're lookin' for.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I recall a scenario years ago when Mike Scioscia was still catching for the Dodgers. Scioscia then lived in Claremont. Dave Smith was a dominating pitcher with the Padres. The Dodgers were sure Smith was doctoring the baseball. Scioscia said something like: "I'd bet my house that he's doctoring the ball." When that quote was presented to Smith, he said, "Why would I take that bet? I live in La Jolla, why would I want a house in Claremont?"

Draft saved Draft deleted