1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Ten Places to Live...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Last year, the place I live now was ranked number 3 in Canada. Somehow we fell to number 35 this year. I still don't understand how we are rated as high as we are now. This place is a #$*%&#* hole from which there is no escape.

2. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

The list is WACK. I've lived here my whole life. There are dozens of cities that I'd pick before Claremont.
    La Palma??? La Mirada??? No fucking way.

3. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Hanover is an interesting place. They have some quality homes in there, and it's not the typical college town, which makes it conducive to those folks who inhabit it.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I've only heard of two towns in the top 10.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

#35 in Canada?

We have that many towns or cities? :)

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

As someone who lived in Upland years ago:

The list makes it seem (to be anyway) like they're promoting Claremont as this nice little town, when its actually just part of the Inland Valley urban sprawl. Hell, if you drive for 10 minutes (if that), you've hit Pomona, a city that'll probably never be anywhere near this list.

7. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Maybe they got Claremont confused with Montclair. Really, could anybody tell the difference between them???

8. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Apparently.

According to Moneysense Magazine out of Toronto, they ranked 123 of Canadian Communities with populations over 10,000.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

The authors went for a different, smaller-town vibe this year. Some places with a good quality of life have low home values, but that has become increasingly rare (I would offer that home ownership as a be-all is somewhat overrated in the overall life and economic picture). And Montclair wishes it were Claremont.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Lived in the Orangethorpe Apartments in La Palma for about 6 months. How it got on this list is beyond me.

My grandma lives in La Mirada, which is a pretty nice little town.

11. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

My take on these lists is no matter what, they're going to be subjective. For instance, the listing for Chaska, Minn. has winter as a drawback. What about those of us (and there a handful of us) who actually LIKE winter and could not ever live in a place where there was no winter?

The best place to live is where you feel at home.

12. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I still think they need to take weather into consideration when they come up with those lists.

That right away would give strikes to anywhere in Wisconsin, Minnesota, the Dakotas, Montana and U.P. Michigan.

Draft saved Draft deleted