1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Ten Driving Peeves

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Slow drivers in the left lane. I can handle pretty much anything else except for this one. And it's a trait that seems to be way more prevalent down south than up north. In the north, if you're coming up behind someone on the highway, invariably they'll move aside. Down south, the attitude is more along the lines of 'fuck you, drive around me', even if that's an impossibility because there's someone working the exact same speed in the right hand lane.

Cell phone/texting usage. On the highway, invariably results in the above occurring.

And the blind spot one is a good call. I don't think a lot of people realize how extremely dangerous that is.

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Here's a new one, too, that I usually find when taking a road trip but which happened to me last night when coming home from work: the caravan.

You know, when the person in the left lane, the person in the center lane and the person in the right lane are all going the same speed, without regard to the fact that there are quite a few cars behind them. Nobody wants to make the move to accelerate, and you wonder why in the world those in the leftmost lanes are there in the first place.

The only more upsetting situation than that is when you finally are able to get enough space to move between the cars to break through, only to have the person on the left speed up to a reasonable speed (or in my case last night, damn near 90).

3. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Many people do it, but it is wrong and illegal to be in the intersection for a left turn. Yes, not many cars can get through on green arrows, but more could get through if they didn't have to wait to go on green because someone else is out in the intersection. If someone wanted to, they could just smash straight into you and it is without a doubt your fault for a red light violation.

4. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

• Left lane dawdlers - God, I hate those saps intent upon passing some truck at 1/2 mph faster in the left lane as traffic lines up behind them. Pass already!

• Cutoff artists - I hate the people who see you merging onto the interstate in the right lane, but refuse to move over to the left lane even if the road is empty.

• Tailgaters - What, 90 mph in the left lane passing a convoy of trucks going 65 mph isn't fast enough for you? Get off my ass!
    • Street racers - The Fast and Furious came out eight years ago. It was the most unrealistic car movie ever made. Quit trying to live your life a quarter-mile at a time. Nobody wants to race your eight-year old Civic with the fartcan exhaust that sounds like a demented lawn mower.
    • I also despise anyone with balls hanging from their trailer hitch, stickers with Calvin-like children peeing on anything, loud fartcan exhausts, "sponsor" stickers all over your ride, silly neon lights under and inside the car, spinny rims and dubs, fake ventiports on your fenders like a mongrelized Buick, bass so loud I can feel it shake my car, pop-down flat screen monitors in cars (minivans, I understand why they're there) and old hoopdies with suspension lifts like a monster truck.

5. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

Only if it's a red arrow; if it's a green arrow that then turns into a flashing yellow or a green light (meaning you can make a left if you're yielding to oncoming traffic) you're supposed to go into the intersection as you await making the turn.

6. MacDaddy

MacDaddy Active Member

WFW.

I'm always amused at how people accessorize their super-crappy cars. I saw a car the other day that was barely running, yet they spent the money to put the fake ventiports on the fenders. Nice priorities.

Another favorite was a car with monitors in the headrests; it was a two-seater.

7. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Yield does not mean, "I'm coming onto the highway and you'd better make room for me."

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The one I struggle with most that isn't on the list are those who don't use an on-ramp to accelerate.

If we're coming off a road where the average rate of a vehicle is 40 mph, and we're getting onto a highway where people are going 60-65 mph and we're going to need to merge in early and safely, we shouldn't still be doing 40 when we reach the beginning of the merge lane.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Bet you'd like that. :D

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Failing to use one's turn signal and while stopping at nearly ever intersection.

Stupid tourists.

11. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Bamadog, whatchu doin' readin' my mind? Agree with everything you mentioned, especially the plastic nuts. That is just SO wrong.

12. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Haven't read the thread or the original story (So of course I feel qualified to comment), but nothing is more annoying to me than rubberneckers.

For the sake of all that is holy, it is just some flashing lights, people. There is no need to stop and gawk and build up a mile-long backup.

Draft saved Draft deleted