1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Ten Driving Peeves

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I also wish people would pick a speed in relation to the speed limit.

It's especially baffling in construction zones.

They obviously don't want to risk getting a ticket, so they drive the speed limit. But then when they get to a construction zone, they don't bother slowing down, despite the fact that the fine is quintupled or something. It makes no sense. So I pass them on the open road, they pass me in the construction zone, then I pass them again after the construction zone.

If you're gonna go 65 in a 70 mph zone, shouldn't you be going 55 or slower in a 55mph construction zone?

2. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

I forgot how little I miss driving in South Florida. It's insane. It makes the last lap of a race at Talladega or Daytona look like child's play.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

Similarly, I tend to find people sometimes drive the same speed even when the speed limit drops through little towns. On a 55 mph road, they will drive 50. They hit the little town where the speed drops to 45 or 35 and they continue to go 50. As they exit town, they remain at 50.

Another annoying thing is the group of drivers who come to the little town where the speed limit is 45 mph and hit their brakes instantly, dropping from 60 to 30 immediately. They proceed to go 30 through the whole town, even though the speed limit is 45.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It occurred to me today that the reason it always seems like I'm caught between drivers going way faster than me and way slower than me is because those are the only drivers I'm likely to run into on the road. If they are going the same speed, I'll never catch up with them or vice-versa.

5. Bamadog

Bamadog Well-Known Member

Not a big fan either. Usually, if they do that a few times, I'll hit the 'burners up to about 90 mph and get away from them. I'd wager that most cars have cruise control. USE IT!

I also hate the folks who come to a stop on on-ramps when merging. It says merge, not stop! Cripes.

Also, I hate folks that either speed up or slow down when you're trying to make a turn across a highway, taking away your open space and forcing you to wait eons for a gap in traffic to open.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The shoulder is not for passing. People who can't wait an extra 20 seconds for a turning car to clear are not on my Christmas card list, to be kind about it.

7. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

The on-ramp from I-64 to 64/81 in Lexington, Virginia is a left-sider.

8. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Left exits are all over Florida. Many in Orlando and Tampa Bay area, including the exits to Tropicana Field coming from the Tampa side.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

After reading this thread, it seems like people can't wait an extra 2 seconds.

After 20 seconds their veins are probably popping out of their necks.

10. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I am convinced that people not only don't understand what this sign means, but that it actually is invisible to a high percentage of drivers:

[​IMG]

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, I don't want a Christmas card, I just want people to stay to the left when they're making a left turn and there are plenty of places where it's perfectly acceptable to go around a vehicle making a left, even on a single lane road. It's obnoxious to stay to the right in such a situation to purposely block someone from getting around your vehicle.

Draft saved Draft deleted