1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Stories of 2011 (Updated 10/15/11)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Re: Top Stories of 2011 (Updated 7/15/11)

schiezainc,

Dick Clark is liking your performance so far.

*good call on Katie Couric, however. If you'd have named Pelley as her replacement I would have been really impressed.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    "Hey - what am I? Fish food?"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. Point of Order

<---- fail. (So he goes after LeBron right?)

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

1.) t_b_f back in the States.

5. Lieslntx

Lieslntx Active Member

You might have to add the drought in the south to this list. As bad as it is, I am afraid it is going to get much worse than it is now.

6. Point of Order

Here's my old list from July. Funny how my views on them changed over time:

Now, I'm really struggling with my 10/15/2011 update. Is there a link or common theme between Arab Spring and OccupyWallStreet? (I'd say obviously yes). Is the Wall Street protest going to maintain steam? (I think so). Is bin Laden killing big enough to be lumped into its own story? If so, then the story of the U.S. kicking the shit out of Al Qaeda might still be worthy of another slot. Is the Casey Anthony trial a worthy news story? What is the biggest story in sports this year? I had completely forgotten about the Heat getting its ass kicked as enjoyable as it was. How do you account for electoral politics? For all the bluster and campaigning a definitive story from the presidential race has yet to emerge.

1. USA kicking terrorist ass (Bin Laden, et. al.)
    2. Arab Spring (inspiring broader uprising of the underclass everywhere)
    3. Japan earthquake/Fukushima nuclear meltdown
    4. Tucson shootings
    5. Weather woes (Brutal winter weather, devastating tornadoes, massive floods)
    6. Global economic crises (slow U.S. recovery, Greece, Italy, British austerity)
    7. Casey Anthony trial
    8. LeBron's gets comeuppance/Mavs win NBA title -- Heat lose

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

1. Killing of Bin Laden
    2. Japan earthquake
    3. Arab Spring
    4. Debt ceiling showdown and loss of AAA rating
    5. Devastating tornadoes in South and Midwest.

8. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

I think the NBA missing the first two weeks of the season is bigger than the Mavs win/Heat loss.

9. Point of Order

So is the NBA lockout the biggest sports story of 2011 so far?

10. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Conference realignment is the top sports story, Someone wins a title every year.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The baseball wildcard craziness might be the biggest sports story of the year so far. NFL lockout probably second at this point. NBA lockout third because, well, the NFL is the NFL. That story dominated the airwaves for months even though they didn't lose a minute of game time. I think Butler making the title game for the second straight year was pretty big, but not sure I can justify the losing team being a story of the year. Peyton Manning missing the season is pretty big. Cam Newton's wild ride has been pretty big. Scandals in college sports, particularly Ohio State and Miami, have been pretty big - especially since one of them resulted in Jim Tressel losing his job.

News-wise, I think the GOP primary gear-up has to be on the list, and fairly high. If you are struggling for a hook, maybe the fact that the focus is as much so far on who's out (Palin, Daniels, Christie) as who's in?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Also, the Casey Anthony trial is on any top 10 list of the year, whether we like it or not. It was the biggest murder trial since O.J. Simpson, in terms of public interest.

Draft saved Draft deleted