1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Sports Things to Do Before You Die?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Been there, done that list
    Stanley Cup Finals
    Go to the U.S. Open
    Go to the PGA
    Go to the Rose Bowl I've covered three, attended a fourth
    See Notre Dame-USC Covered two
    Go to Cooperstown
    Go to the Hockey Hall of Fame
    Go to Wrigley and Fenway

The To-Do List (in no particular order)
    Go to Cooperstown with my son
    Go to the British Open and Masters
    Play St. Andrews
    Play Pebble Beach
    Play at least 10 courses on Golf Digest's Top 100 List (I've played 2: Riviera and Sherwood, when it was on the list)
    Play golf in at least 25 states (I'm at 6 and counting)
    See Arsenal-Man U at Old Trafford or Arsenal-Tottenham at Emirates
    See a World Series game
    Get to Yankee Stadium
    Get to Camp Randall for Wisconsin-Michigan
    See the Kings win a Stanley Cup (not holding my breath on this one)

2. Central-KY-Kid

Central-KY-Kid Well-Known Member

I've been to Rupp for plenty of home games (Louisville, Florida, UNC, Tennessee), the NCAA Tournament and the high school sweet 16 (referred to the best high school state tournament in any sport).

Not. Impressed. At. All.

If you sit in the upper deck, you feel like you're going to fall out of your seat (bleacher). Only gets loud when the game is close. Lower bowl filled by rich-blue bloods. Student sections are behind the goals. Pep band has played the same stuff for the last seven years. Media sits either on the baseline or in the upper bowl.

Maybe Rupp was different during Rick Pitino's days of dominance.

I'd rather see UNC-Duke at Cameron Indoor. Or Iowa-Kansas at Allen Fieldhouse.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That would do it for me.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Although it's usually one-sided, an LSU-Ole Miss game provides a pretty intense atmosphere, too. I'd add Bama-Auburn, too.

5. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

Night games at Tennessee, LSU Auburn, Florida, Bama, Georgia, South Carolina and Arkansas are phenomenal. Deadline for the 7:45 ESPN kickoff is a sonofabitch, though.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The Camp is great! Pray you get a night game so that all the students are 3 sheets by the time the game starts, it makes it that much more fun. Jump around is a sight to see, and the "Eat Sh*t, F*ck You" chants that you can hear across the stadium are great.

For those who have OSU/Mich on their list, I'd recommend the Shoe instead of the Big House. Never been to an OSU/Mich game (though I want to go), but I've been to both stadiums and the Shoe kicks the Big House's butt and it's not even close. I guessing that's the best place to see that game.

Lastly, I'd recommend the Midnight Sun baseball game up in Fairbanks, Alaska. It's played every year on the summer solstice and it's something worth seeing. You'll probably catch a few future major leaguers in action, too.

As far as what I want to see, I still need to make the baseball royalty tour of parks, I'd love to see a Rose Bowl (hopefully with Wisconsin) and the World Cup finals. The major tennis stops would probably be cool too. The golf stuff, nah, just doesn't do it for me.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Been lucky enough to see/cover alotta cool shit in this job. What I want to see in person is:

USC at Notre Dame football
    Dodgers at Yankee Stadium before it crashes down
    Premier League game in the stadium with the loudest chanting
    Wimbledon and/or French Open final

There might be others, but those 4 sporting events would be sweet to cover.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

But there's nothing as sweet as the look of 80,000 dejected Buckeye fans after your team just whooped on them.
    I never knew that it was possible for 100,000 people to be as quite as the Big House was, though. That was one of the biggest dissapointments ever.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Disagree.. OK, disagree on fuck the fuckeyes.. Probably the best place I've ever watched a meaningful football game.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

See the Cubs win a World Series at Wrigley. We all know it will never happen.

Also would like to see a match at Anfield before it closes.

11. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Twins.

Not the Minnesota Twins.

Just. Twins.

And I'd like to work two more Olympics in the U.S. -- one summer, one winter.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Have to love the excitement of youth...

Draft saved Draft deleted