1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Sports Things to Do Before You Die?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PalmettoStatesport, Jun 13, 2007.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

If anyone here hasn't been to a college football game between two SEC teams (and I mean real SEC - Florida, Auburn, Georgia, Tenn., LSU, etc.), put that on top of your list. The 2005 Georgia/Auburn game in Sanford Stadium was by far the most intense game I've ever seen in person.

2. Ty,
    You are absolutely right. I've gotten to cover UGA vs. Tennessee, Florida vs. Tennessee and I was in attendance this past season at the swamp when spurrier came back. that was classic.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That goes double if it is a night game.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Well done.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Also done most of what I've wanted to do (seen two World Series games (fuck you Jim Leyritz :(), two Indy 500s, NFL and NHL playoff games; been to the holy quartet of ballparks: Yankee, Wrigley, Fenway, Tiger; seen a Michigan-USC Rose Bowl; been to Cooperstown, and will go again for Ripken's induction next month, which has been on my list all my life; saw Tiger win at Bay Hill ...)

Not much else left, except:

- See a Michigan-Ohio State game at the Big House
    - See a Packers game at Lambeau
    - See a Manchester Utd. game at Old Trafford
    - Spend a day, a week, a month(!) partying at the World Cup, and see a knockout game
    - See Glavine's induction at Cooperstown, also on my list most of my life
    - Have a mint julep at the Kentucky Derby

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

For myself, play Pine Valley. And, since we're dreaming, just give me an 85 and I can die happy.

As for work, I've already covered the Masters a couple of times. (Pre-Tigerfication, which I consider a plus.) So, I'd like to see that Red Sox/Cubs World Series mentioned above. If I can't have that, make it Phillies/Yankees, with the Phillies winning in five.

Oh, and in the 'no brag, just fact' category: I covered the Otago Classic, the New Zealand Open and the Miyazaki Phoenix on consecutive weeks (this was a while ago), and they were all won by the same golfer: Seve Ballesteros. Incredible performance by a very young Seve when he could golf his ball, and scrape it out of the most amazing circumstances. Some of you might want to consider that trifecta to dream about when it comes to a working trip; not bad.

7. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Not in my lifetime.

8. baskethead

baskethead Member

A World Cup game, any World Cup game.
    And a World Series with the Mariners in it.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

TO DO:
    Infield at Talladega (I'm surprised the August night race at Bristol hasn't made the list)
    LSU Saturday night home football game; also home dates at Notre Dame, Michigan and Ohio State.
    Stanley Cup final in Montreal (I'd even take Toronto).
    Final Four in New Orleans

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I had list of 3 places I wanted to be sent for work. It's different to just go on your own rather than be sent for work (expensed, eh?)
    1 -- Hawaii
    2 -- Las Vegas
    3 -- New Orleans
    Made to Hawaii twice for work (baseball winter meetings, Aloha Bowl) and been a dozen or so times on my own.
    Made it to Las Vegas once (LMU-UNLV preseason NIT game) and been dozens of time on my own.
    Never made it to New Orleans, now I'm not sure I want to go.

11. John

John Well-Known Member

That was a helluva game. I was in the stands, not the press box, for that one.

On a similar note, the LSU-Georgia game in 2004 (I think) in Baton Rouge was incredible. Both teams were in the top 10, CBS afternoon game, Georgia takes the lead with about two minutes left on screen pass that turned into an 85-yard touchdown and LSU drives for the win with a few seconds left.

And after cranking out a couple of stories, there was time for a few beers in the press box.

12. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That was 2003, the year after Georgia won its first SEC title in 20 years. The 2004 Georgia-LSU game was the one where David Greene torched the Tigers for five touchdowns in Sanford Stadium. Both of those games were great, but for very different reasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted