1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top sports story of 2011

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Dec 30, 2011.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

No Tennis.

Butler and Cinderella NCAAs could be up there. Auburn winning with a $200,000 QB could be another. Concussions might slip in as well.

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If Penn State and Ohio State are on the list, where do you place the Miami scandal?

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I would not consider OSU on the list. It's chicken shit, IMHO, to what is happening at PSU.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Djokovic went 70-6 in 2011, including 43 matches won in a row. He won 10 tournaments, including three of the four majors. He set an ATP record for most prize money won in a year. No hyperbole. It was arguably, and probably, the best season ever played. His competition with Federer and Nadal as his rivals makes it that much more remarkable.

If there is a stock "no tennis allowed" rule, OK. But what he did ranks up with anything anyone did in any sport.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

The only question to me is what's No. 2.

I'd probably go with (holding nose) the Packers' success in that slot. Credit where credit is due, and the NFL is the biggest sport in the land.

As Mark mentioned, both labor situations have been resolved.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Also, even though it isn't at the top of the list, the death of Joe Frazier should make the notables.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Rory McIlroy? Completely loses his shit at the Masters, then rebounds to absolutely plow the field at the U.S. Open. I know if it's not Tiger, it didn't happen, but that's pretty outstanding for a 21-year-old up-and-comer who could be the face of golf in five years.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I think Wheldon is top-5 stuff. Highest-profile racing death in the U.S. since Earnhardt, and as a two-time 500 champion he was sporting royalty, even if the 500 isn't what it used to be.

Jimmie Johnson not winning is almost more of a story to me than Stewart winning. But Smoke's not a top-10 story.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Fascinating to read everyone's take on things.

I'm not a huge MLB fan, but what the Cardinals did was remarkable. I had written them off before Labor Day as even making the playoffs, much less knocking out the Phillies and Brewers and rallying to stay alive in Game 6 against Texas and then win Game 7. That was one of the more remarkable playoff runs in any team sport in my lifetime.

If the NFL or NBA regular seasons had been cancelled, that would have them higher up the list. I agree with The Big Ragu that what Djokovic did in tennis was historically noteworthy and deserves a spot on the list. McIlroy might be up there if he had won a second major. As it was, it was ONE fabulous week at the US Open. So my revised list might be....

1) Sandusky scandal/Paterno fired at Penn State

2) Cardinals run to World Series title

3) Mavericks dump LeBron, Heat in NBA Finals

4) Packers win SB, dominate season; Rodgers MVP?

5) Tressell dumped amidst OSU scandal

6) Dan Wheldon wins Indy, dies in crash at Vegas

7) Djokovic's blockbuster year

8) NFL/NBA labor strife

9) Bruins win Stanley Cup/Vancouver riots

10) Drew Brees breaks Dan Marino's passing record

10. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

I agree with the labor stuff being as low as it is. There was no great uproar from anyone about the NBA season being pushed back, and the only uproar about the potential for the NFL season's delay was ESPN-created.

11. This is Howry do it

This is Howry do it New Member

Where do Pro Bowl snubs fit in on your list?

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

After NCAA tourney snubs, so second overall.

Draft saved Draft deleted