1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top sports story of 2011

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Butler going to back-to-back national championship games (losing its best player in the process) in a day and age when top programs tend to dominate with the one-and-done rule.

2. This is Howry do it

This is Howry do it New Member

The girl that won the $25,000 Dr. Pepper challenge during the SEC title game stands out in my mind.

3. Devin

Devin Member

The Penn State revelations is clearly No. 1. No. 2 would be LeBron James and the season of the Miami Heat. No. 3 would be NBA/NFL labor strife.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

To each their own.

5. This is Howry do it

This is Howry do it New Member

The Legends softball game before the MLB All Star game came down to a thrilling finish, that might crack my top 6.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

179 pages of SportsJournalists.com and counting.

7. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Is this is reference to Bob? Because I got me a Bob story.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

[​IMG]

Since we are unfamiliar with sarcasm, I shall close the register drawer.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

IJAG will gut you.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I think Djokovic's winning streak should be higher. What he did with Nadal and Federer around was unreal.

11. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Tennis...they still play tennis?

I kid, and I am a actually a bit of a tennis fan. But I do think that plays a part. Personally, I find the Cardinals' story a bit diminished by my own growing loss of interest in MLB. But tennis is so far from its heyday, does it register enough as a sport to have ANY story in the top five?

12. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

I wonder if fans in St. Louis consider the Cardinals playoff run and World Series win significantly bigger as a sports story than Albert Pujols signing elsewhere...

Jim Tressel/OSU "incident" has to be on this list. It may not be as horrid a set of circumstances as the Sandusky situation at Penn State but it has a coating of sleaze on it that is not going to wash away easily. (That is not to argue that the Sandusky mess be off the list; I suggest both stories belong there.)

Someone pointed out the Butler going back-to-back in the NCAA Final Game earlier on. That has to be in the Top Five from my perspective.

Draft saved Draft deleted