1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top sports story of 2011

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

What was your top national/international sports story of 2011?

My top stories were:

(1) Jerry Sandusky incident and Joe Paterno fired at Penn State.

(2) St. Louis Cardinals amazing late season and playoff run to the World Series Championship.

(3) Dirk Novitzki and Dallas Mavericks upstaging LeBron James and Miami to win NBA championship.

(4) Green Bay Packers winning Super Bowl, going 14-1 in next regular season.

(5) Novak Djokovic dominates men's tennis, wins three of four majors.

I'm sure there are plenty of other strong candidates out there as well. Discuss....

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Derek Jeter getting robbed of the MVP [/manky] :D

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Mark,

Swap 3 and 4 and you're spot on with me.

4. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

What about labor strife in NFL and NBA?

And no love for women's World Cup, which made women's soccer relevent for a month before it went back into obscurity?

5. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

dan wheldon?

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

7. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

Labor Strife in top 5 and OSU mess might have a case.

8. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I would have labor strife on the list AND OSU, which might be part of the bigger story of a new "outlaw" era for college football. We're back in the 80s with a lot of programs either in major trouble or close to being in major trouble (looking at you, Auburn and don't get too smug about that, the rest of the SEC...).

9. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

I would nominate him, both for his improbable win at Indy in a one-off ride and for his death on the day he supposedly signed a deal to replace Danica Patrick at Andretti.
    I think you could also make a case for Tony Stewart, winning five chase races and the title in NASCAR after running like junk much of the season. Parallels St. Louis I guess, but with the twist that he fired his crew chief in the midst of it.

10. This is Howry do it

This is Howry do it New Member

A standard, boring World Series and Super Bowl over the labor strife in the NFL/NBA? What planet are you from? I'm surprised the MLB All Star game didn't make the list.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Ok, yeah, would include the Jim Tressel/Ohio State mess at No. 5.

The NFL and NBA labor situations DID get resolved, so I put those a little further down the list, but somewhere between Nos. 6 and 10.

Also in there would be the Boston Bruins winning their first Stanley Cup in 40 years and the riots in Vancouver following Game 7.

12. This is Howry do it

This is Howry do it New Member

I'd personally put the NBA 3-point shooting contest above Sandusky.

Draft saved Draft deleted