1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top sports stories of 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Dec 19, 2012.

1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Not a single baseball story in the Top 10? Call me a fanboi, but, the Giants' postseason run would merit consideration, I'd think.

2. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

What you don't seem to get is that stories that transcend sports -- Penn St, Armstrong -- are more "significant."

Your list makes me laugh.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Why? Someone has to win the World Series.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

There are several baseball stories that would merit consideration, but none of them would be the Giants World Series win.

Those that would:

Cabrera
    Trout
    Cabrera/Trout MVP debate
    R.A. Dickey
    The Oakland A's and Baltimore Orioles' seasons from nowhere
    Strasburg/Washington Nationals
    Ryan Bruan winning his PED suspension appeal

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, it got the lowest TV ratings in history (oddly enough, No. 2 is the last Giants series), and was probably the least noticed and least talked about series I can ever remember.

If there ever was a year to not include a baseball story, I'd say this was it. Just not much about the 2012 season that sticks in the memory banks.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I'd say the whole Trout and Cabrera deal makes the cut. We already know one of the Top 10 for next year, too. Whatever happens to Bonds, Clemens, etc. when the Hall vote is announced.

7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Penn State/Sandusky was on my top news stories list. It seemed more papers/TV stations included it in their news sections instead of sports.

One could argue the fallout in the football program was significant. And I have no problem putting the Armstrong thing on the list. As for baseball, I put Cabrera on the list. I didn't find anything else all that noteworthy.

I don't like putting winning (or losing) teams on these lists, unless they do something historically significant. As Versatile said, someone wins the World Series (or Super Bowl, or NCAA or whatever) every single year. Does that make it a big story people will remember down the road, unless they happen to be a fan of that particular team? I put the LA Kings on the list simply because they were the first No. 8 seed to win the championship. Never happened before, which is what made it standout.

Please, gang, make your lists. I'm really interested to see how people rank stuff.

Draft saved Draft deleted