1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top sports stories of 2012

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Dec 19, 2012.

1. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

So what would you rate as the top NFL story? To me, it's the bounty scandal and everything that went with it.

I understand if you live in a certain market that might influence one's feelings. I really could care less which team wins. The Giants winning the Super Bowl is not much different than the Patriots or Steelers or Packers. It's what happens along the way that makes a story big or not. I see the bounty scandal as big if, for no other reason, a head coach got suspended for the entire freakin' season. That has never happened in my lifetime, and I doubt it ever will again.

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Anytime a major pro league cancels a ton of games, it is a pretty big deal. It means tons of other stories that simply don't happen.

And, yes, the list is subjective, of course. Losing the NHL season means I have basically nothing of interest sportswise to watch on weeknights for six months. If it were, say, the NBA, I wouldn't care as much because I haven't watched an NBA game in years anyway.

Please do put together your own list. I'm curious to see what others think.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Soccer had some real doozies this year:
    Messi breaking the goal record
    FC Rangers going broke
    Hillsborough investigation finally getting traction
    Man City edging Man Utd. in the Prem on an epic last day of the season

In the golf realm, USA Ryder Cup meltdown was pretty big.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Linsanity beats the NHL lockout.

5. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Nationally: Penn State.

Everything else is a well-beaten second.

6. TGO157

TGO157 Active Member

Peyton Manning changing teams should be somewhere in the top 10.

7. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

I'm no cycling fan, but I'd think Lance Armstrong would be in there. Lost track of when the Penn State stuff came out.

8. albert77

albert77 Well-Known Member

Facts started coming out about Penn State around mid-November of last year, but all of the major fallout stories: Paterno's death, the Sandusky trial and the firestorm over the NCAA sanctions all occured this year.

Lance Armstrong would be somewhere in the top 10 I would think.

9. slc10

slc10 Member

Chipper Jones final season, the season of the Falcons, Georgia misses shot at national title are three big stories here in the state of Georgia.

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sure. Each list is going to be somewhat skewed by local bias. I get that.

I had Manning at No. 10 and then bumped it for the two December deaths. The Armstrong thing makes sense as well, given that after so many years of rumors and speculation, we finally got some finality to it.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

No. 7 probably shouldn't be in the Top 10 either. It's a No. 8 seed winning a title, but really it's just another sports championship. Big in LA, but that's it. Certainly not a big thing on the national scale.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty New Member

this:
    1) College conference re-alignment.

wasn't even no. 1 last year. yet sports writers just beat that shit to death. the conference i follow added two teams and was broken into north and south divisions. so fucking what? interleague baseball was more interesting.

Draft saved Draft deleted