1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top songs to be played today (July 4)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by EStreetJoe, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I didn't play it myself, but I attended the Padres' game against the Marlins yesterday and heard "America" by Neil Diamond over the loud speaker. They also played James Brown's "Living in America" and Bruce's "Born in the USA".

Best songs of the day? Probably having a serviceman just back from Iraq singing the Star-Spangled Banner and God Bless America.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I'm not some sort of uber-Patriot by any stretch but I must admit I enjoy seventh inning stretches when they sing God Bless America.

Those on the original outing in '05 should remember a particularly memorable rendition.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

When I was a kid I had the pleasure of being in Washington D.C. for July 4. I remember standing near the Lincoln Memorial and hearing the 1812 Overture with the cannons shooting off. It was very, very cool.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

The guy who sings God Bless America in Yankee Stadium is really the only thing I like about the New York Yankees.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

"America, FUCK YEAH!" from the Team America soundtrack.

Nothing complements explosions better than this song.

6. boots

boots New Member

Few sang God Bless AmerikkKa better than the late great Kate Smith!

7. occasionally

occasionally Member

Except for the 3 1/2 minute version I sat through at a minor-league game on the 3rd. I didn't know there was a dance version to GBA!

8. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Maybe you ought to listen to 2Pac's or Ice Cube's "Amerikkka's Most Wanted."

9. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Yes, it is.

Heard it at the Hollywood Bowl about 20 years ago. Awesome, awesome experience.

10. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

American Idiot, Green Day.

Best performance of "God Bless" this side of Kate Smith was trumpeter Jesse McGuire during the 2001 World Series. Absolutely incendiary.

Draft saved Draft deleted