1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Top Selling Sports Books of 2010

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by sportbook, Oct 15, 2010.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think that's why most sports books are targeted for Father's Day gifts or Christmas presents. You don't sell the book to the reader, but to the buyer (wives).

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That caught my eye as well. I took it to mean best ever. Which, well, I liked it too. But...

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, and that platform beat it to death. They had a huge book tour too. To sell 45k copies, to me, sounds flat embarrassing. Then again, those are all sobering sales figures once you get past the first couple.

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The linked list does not include books sold at Wal-Mart, Sam's Club or BJs. Especially in the case of the first two, that's akin to coming out with a list of favorite barbecue recipes at a vegetarian retreat.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Don't forget Feinstein will squeak out a book about the starter at the British Open or some obscure golfing shit

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Anyone read the Mays book? I have picked it up in the store numerous times but never bought it. Just curious if it is worth the read.

8. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

So if a sportswriter writes a book that sells, say, 40,000 copies, how much of a cut do the writers get roughly?

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I haven't read "Born to Run" but I would agree that Agassi's book is the best sports autobiography I've ever read, by a clear mile.

10. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I read something that said getting $1 a book is pretty good. Of course, that's after the publisher deducts the advance. But figure a $25 book is discounted/wholesale at $15 to booksellers, the publisher will deduct printing costs, distribution and marketing before you get paid.
    It's one of the reasons you see so many pseudo-celebs get book deal after book deal, they can push a book on their talk show day after day and it won't cost a dime. They can get booked on The Tonight Show, The View, Larry King. And if they have an agreement with some organizations to buy their book in bulk - WHAMMO - to the top of the best seller lists.

11. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

well done. does Lupica still include ads for his little baseball teen novels in his Sunday column

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Yeah, I read it, though didn't buy it (thank you, library) Veterans will know most of it. It is most definitely "authorized"; it gives Willie the distinct benefit of every doubt.

Draft saved Draft deleted